Whole grains - I miss my bread :(

Options

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I eat bread.

I also eat ice cream, cookies, cake, drink beer, wine, etc.

I don't believe that you need to give up anything.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that all grains are garbage and wheat especially is poison. You're better off not eating them. Trust me, after about a month you will barely even notice bread, not even the smell gets my attention any more, and I loved bread as much as the next fat guy ;)

Does that mean you give up everything on bread? No sandwiches, burgers .. ??
    I'm noticing I don't hit my targets and I'd like to know how to increase that without going overboard. My norm would be to eat a sandwich!

If it can be made without a bun/bread I'll still eat it, like hamburgers. I may have a sandwhich occasionally, but it's on almond flour or flaxseed bread that I make myself. If it's something like a tortilla, I'll make a taco salad.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that all grains are garbage and wheat especially is poison. You're better off not eating them. Trust me, after about a month you will barely even notice bread, not even the smell gets my attention any more, and I loved bread as much as the next fat guy ;)

agree. although for me it was rice and potatoes more so then bread. and you really dont miss it like you think you will!
  • GameBoiye
    GameBoiye Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't cut out bread. Unless you are trying for some ultra low carb keto diet bread will not hurt you. Hit your calorie goal and you'll be fine.

If you do want to cut back on bread, I would recommend trying out some of Nature's Own sliced bread, specifically this one (Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat): http://naturesownbread.com/products/VarietyBreads/WholeWheat/

While it is much more expensive it taste incredibly good and the nutritional values are quite nice. Really low calories and only 8g effective Carbs (10g carbs - 2g fiber) with an extra boost of protein.

Honestly you won't find a better bread, but you won't have to as the nutrition on this one is insane compared to any other form of bread.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm noticing I don't hit my targets and I'd like to know how to increase that without going overboard. My norm would be to eat a sandwich!

You might try whole grain wraps. I like Flat Out brand. Only 90-100 calories (depending on which variety you choose) and you can add a lot of veggies to your sandwich. I start with a huge handful of dark leafy greens (spinach, leaf lettuce, arugula, then add meat or hummus and a few chopped or shredded veggies and a little dressing and roll it up. Makes sandwiches more than just meat and bread, but still very filling and easy.
  • gamblrslady
    gamblrslady Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The Fitbie site (which sells diet books) has an author who claims that Wheat is like poison to your body, especially if you are trying to lose belly fat. Has anyone had experience with this?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Wow, garbage? OK might seem like poison if you are allergic but if not, this statement is nonsense.

"Posion" never tasted so yummy, when toasted, with almond butter. :laugh: :tongue:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    it's ok to eat bread. whole grain or otherwise. some people have issues with gluten. but for everyone else, it's ok.
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    I'll admit it, I'm a carb-a-holic. I could never go without pasta and breads especially. What I do, however, is try to use ones that are whole or multi-grain. As others have mentioned, the multi-grain sandwich thins are AWESOME. They are the perfect size for a sandwich, and satisfy the carb craving without overdoing calories. Also I really enjoy this Barilla Pasta that's made with veggies. Each serving has a full serving of veggies. I either get whole grain pasta or the veggie ones. Yum carbs.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I eat whole grain breads, when you look at the ingredients, if it starts with enriched, it is not whole grain (just a rule of thumb). Bread is a carb, if you watch your carbs you can surely have breads, just make them healthier breads. The more dense the bread the more healthy it is usually. :smile:
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I eat bread. I watch my fats, carbohydrates, and proteins and keep them in balance. I lose weight.

Too many carbohydrates and I find appetite control hard. Other than that, carbohydrates and I are very good friends indeed.

Unless you have some specific allergy or medical condition that causes you to react poorly to carbohydrates or gluten or something, there's nothing in bread that precludes weight loss unless you eat enough of it to throw your diet completely out of balance.

Bread is not an "essential" item that the body cannot do without, but neither is it (for most people) some sort of evil weight-gaining demon. Whole grains are better than white, and multi-grain is better than single-grain, but even the occasional slice of Wonder White won't kill you.
  • Marll
    Options

Wow, garbage? OK might seem like poison if you are allergic but if not, this statement is nonsense.

The statement appears to be nonsense until you start reading about all the adverse reactions that people have to wheat, the fact that whole grains, especially wheat have many anti-nutrients in them that are intended for the survival of the plant to deter pests, the fact that birds are some of the only animals on the planet (including humans) that can actually biologically fully digest most grains.

Anyone can choose not to believe the research data, just like I choose to listen to it. I find that most people that are unwilling to give up grains though have addiction type responses to bread and sugar, and generally are weak willed in their diets...that's just my opinion and observations though, no offense intended.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a slice of bread with butter every day and I eat it as a treat, For me I won't give it up completely. I use natures own 100% whole wheat it's 10g carbs or tapioca light bread it's 7g carb,
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    The Fitbie site (which sells diet books) has an author who claims that Wheat is like poison to your body, especially if you are trying to lose belly fat. Has anyone had experience with this?

The best thing to do with "diet" books is to throw them as hard as you can, run as fast as you can to retrieve them, and repeat the process until you are tired. It's great cardio. Get the hardcovers if you can, they weigh more and will hold up better to repeated throwing.
  • Marll
    Options

"Posion" never tasted so yummy, when toasted, with almond butter. :laugh: :tongue:

Yeah, I'll stick to my flax bread or almond bread that I know what's in it and it's low carb. I like loosing weight more than I like bread :wink:
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Joseph's lavash bread (make pizza on it). And lite whole wheat bread for sandwiches.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I eat bread and I am losing. I cut out so much that I would have so many little options if I didn't make a healthy sandwich from time to time.
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I eat bread.

I also eat ice cream, cookies, cake, drink beer, wine, etc.

I don't believe that you need to give up anything.

^^This
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I still have bread. I bought Sara Lee 100% Multi-Grain bread. It's 45 calories a slice....so 90 for 2 slices, 19 carbs, 6 grams of protein, and 5 grams of fiber. You don't need to give up things you love, BUT if you think that you will be tempted to eat a whole loaf of bread, maybe you should wait a little longer to add it to you meals.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Eat bread then. It isn't poison and you will still lose weight, stay within your calorie goal and follow your macro guidelines.
    All the skinny and the fit people I know eat bread.