Can't do a single press-up/push-up!

Options
Hey guys,

So I have recently started the BodyRock Day Challenge, and it involves a lot of push-up/press-up type strengthening exercises, but something I have realised is I can't do a single one!

This is puzzling to me because I have been lifting weights for a good few months at the gym, and I do manage fine with the other arm strength exercises in the challenge, I just cannot seem to manage my own weight when doing a press-up/push-up... :-(

Does anyone have any tips/suggestions? I have looked at youtube videos but when I attempt it myself I fall fat on my face haha!

I can just about manage a box press-up (where you rest your weight on your knees?),,,

Thanks in advance..

Replies

• glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    do box press ups until you're stronger.
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I hate push ups. :noway: I'm now able to do 10 on my knees on a good day, but I had to start doing them against a wall, then a counter top, and gradually worked my way down to the floor. I could probably do 1 or 2 straight leg ones, but I haven't tried yet. I probably should give it a go. :ohwell:
  • squirrleydoodle
    squirrleydoodle Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    have you tried doing push up the "girly" way until you're stronger? i did that for a while bc i couldnt do push up properly and it helped alot! now i can do regulr push up (not alot but at least a handful in a row lol)
  • PAZlady
    PAZlady Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Start slowly and do push ups on a bench (hands up on bench and toes straight behind like a real push up). There is also a website called 100 pushups that gives you a guide to start slowly and build up to doing 100 pushups. You can do either on your knees or a regular push up. Good luck!!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Negative push-ups, if doing girly push-ups isn't helping sufficiently. I can't do a single chin-up/pull-up, so I'll be working towards it by incorporating negatives.
  • GameBoiye
    GameBoiye Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Doing push-ups from your knees definitely helps. I also could not do push-ups at first, and could barely do push-ups from my knees.

About 6 months ago I could only do about 5 knee push-ups, now I normally do about 100 a day. I can do about 5-10 regular push-ups, but after talking to my trainer it's still best to keep doing knee push-ups until I can do more reps of regular push-ups.

Just make sure you get down the form correctly. Hand position is identical to regular push-ups, the only difference is you put your knees together on the ground. Cross your legs and keep them as close to your butt as possible. Also make sure you do this on an exercise mat or wear knee-pads so you aren't doing damage to your knees.
  • TurningBackTheHandsOfTime
    Options
    Give it time, if you rush it you could injure yourself, patience is usually all it takes to conquer some obstacles. Good luck!
  • mnichols007
    mnichols007 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have no advice.. but I wanted to thank everyone for the comments. I have been attempting to do girly pushups but my knees were always hurting so bad.... never thought of knee pads! Thanks
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Start with pushups using a wall
    Then use a kitchen counter
    Then use a coffee table
    Then do them with hands on the ground..
    Then put your feet on a coffee table
    Then feet on a kitchen counter
    Then do them in a handstand against a wall
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Opening your legs if you want to do them on your feet helps too :) but doing from the knee's and keeping your core 'locked' will help. .increase the number then go for short reps from your feet. :)
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Then use a coffee table
    Then put your feet on a coffee table
    Then feet on a kitchen counter
    Then do them in a handstand against a wall

Love this! lol I'm at point 4 so may just try point 5.. :p
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    Try modifying your pushups. See the link below, it's Tony Horton showing how to modify a pushup to get you started. His modification makes a big difference and are a good way to get started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NFVD7-2dx0
  • shiiallah
    shiiallah Posts: 3
    Options
    http://www.fitness666.com/2012/06/push-up-progression.html

I've found this gentleman's suggestion of a progression to work really well. I've been lifting weights (barbells!) for a few months as well but struggle to do more than 5 half-ish push ups. Still can't do a pull-up either, and he has a suggested progression for it as well. Just realize that it takes time to make changes, and enjoy the ride. :)
  • tizzie_14
    tizzie_14 Posts: 72
    Options
    Start on your knees. The more you do them the better you'll get. I couldn't do a standard push up (although I could do them on my knees) when I started P90x but after 3 weeks I could do a few. Make sure your form is good. Keep your butt down!
  • Allison22451
    Allison22451 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I can't do one either.

I think it goes back to a very smple principle: practice makes perfect.

:)
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Hey!! I also do BR, and I remember the days of starting out and struggling to maintain form and still trying to do the exercises. Those people are crazy, I love it, been doing it for almost a year off and on. Sad to say no six pack yet haha but know my numbers of push ups, burpees and whatever move is UP. Keep it up, there are days when I still can't do the move correctly (try searching Ninja jump tucks) and days when my whole body is dripping with sweat but you will improve, plus isn't the point to be challenged to do better next time? Also sent Friend request it's awesome seeing other Bodyrockers on here :)
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Then use a coffee table

This, or use a chair against a wall instead of a coffee table for more stability.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I could never do them until my trainer started making me do plank to starting push up stance and back to plank. Magically, after I mastered those I could do full push ups. Try starting with planks and holding them for 30-45 seconds and see if that improves your push up attempts.
  • thomakg
    thomakg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree with the plank - my teen daughter has the most flexible back and no core strength - she is working on the plank first to build strength so that she will be able to do push-ups properly...
  • Songtothesiren
    Songtothesiren Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hi. I started doing push-ups last week ... by push-ups I mean I was lying face down on the lounge carpet unable to do anything! My girlfriends suggested I try box press ups ("lady press-ups"). Amazingly things are moving on really quickly and my daily total of box press-ups gets higher each day AND I can now manage a couple of proper pressup's every day.

Hope this helps.