Alcohol

Options
2»

Replies

• cowgirlup327
    cowgirlup327 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It's tough! A few years ago I went 6 months without drinking...not for any particular reason except maybe finishing college and needing a detox (haha)...but I noticed how quickly I dropped a few pounds in that time. In any case, I do think a lot harder about whether or not to order/make that drink now that I am watching my calorie intake more closely. It's so hard because I live pretty close to some awesome breweries...I love a good microbrew, not the watery "light" beers, so it's even harder. One bottle packs a lot of calories. I also like a mixed drink every once in awhile. I found a pineapple coconut rum with only 61 calories per shot, and it is great mixed with lemon-lime seltzer. I'm all about using naturally flavored seltzer waters as mixers these days, since you can make a drink without adding any calories beyond what's in the alcohol. I also occasionally make my own margaritas, and use Simply Limeade rather than a pre-made mixer. Cupcake Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc isn't bad on the calories either...and oh so refreshing in the summer!
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 35 lbs this year and drink all the time.

The key for me has been to carefully account for the caloric content of the alcohol and factor it into my daily budget. This allows me to consume as much as I'd like (within reason, of course) while staying on plan.

I do notice, however, that the carb content of the alcohol tends to cause some water retention. If I abstain for a few days, my daily scale readings will be closer to my predicted loss, whereas one the day after having a few drinks I'll be up by a pound or two, even after staying in a deficit.

Overall, though, you can very much drink and diet for weight loss at the same time.
  • Stuz359
    Stuz359 Posts: 81
    Options
    It's a struggle. My entire social life is built around drinking unfortunately, but I think I have found a balance and I am happier for it.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    if i ever find a genie's lamp one of my wishes will be for the existence of calorie free alcohol. :)
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    alcohol slows your metabolism and u have to burn the calories you consume in alcohol before your body will start burning fat again.... i would say a drink or 2 every once in a while may not be horrible, but just add up all of those calories that u are taking in from the alcohol and think about how long they will take to burn during ur choice of exercise and maybe it just won't seem as worth it...
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I basically have a drink or two every night to put me to sleep.
    But I opt for Skinny Girl White Wine.
    85cals per 125ml no sugar/fat and only 4g of carbs.
    Drank half the bottle last night and only counted to 250 cals really nice and i for sure have the remaining calories at the end of the day to meet this.
  • kylebusch
    kylebusch Posts: 14
    Options
    Last night was my first test at this. Dropped 220 cals from dinner and ran on an eliptical to try and burn off a few hundred calories. Drank a decent amount of captain/diets last night. Hoping it is all about balancing the numbers but we will see...
  • African_Safari
    African_Safari Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's a struggle. My entire social life is built around drinking unfortunately, but I think I have found a balance and I am happier for it.
    It is definetly a struggle at times. I NEVER drank beer before and then a new boyfriend. I started drinking beer and definetly saw the weight creeping up, big time. Now I try and work those calories into my day if I know I am going to have a drink or two. AND I googled all the beer to see which one has the lower calories that I can enjoy at least two or three and not feel like I just had ten loaves of bread. There are some low cal beer out there but you still need to be careful with how much you consume.

Still craving my Vodka/cran/soda once in a while though:happy:
  • jemimasmum
    jemimasmum Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    And i was counting my wine as a fruit portion:drinker:
    I enjoy a glass or two a couple of times a week. I log it and enjoy it. If MFP is about sustainable lifestyle changes then we each have to choose what goes - I don't drink fizzy stuff and avoid chocolate, but I enjoy cheese and alcohol in moderation. No need for guilt, I'm making a positive choice.