Anyone else have a problem with Oatmeal not being filling?

Options
13»

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I used to be a huge fan of oatmeal for breakfast. Now I realize that you need way more protein than it can offer as a meal. So I'll have hard boiled eggs and/or greek yogurt along with it. Or skip it all together and opt for an omelette. In fact more and more oatmeal is becoming an afternoon snack for me!
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    try eating protein with the oatmeal (some people put PB in.....yummmmm!)....or just skip the oatmeal altogether and have eggs etc... also the kind of oatmeal matters..is it loaded with sugar etc??
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    If you use rolled oats, you could try undercooking them. It's maybe just my imagination but I feel that the rawer they are, the more filling they are.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    You may also want to check out some of the recipes for 'overnight oats' that people have been posting on the forums. I have yet to try them but they do look delicious and more substantial then just plain oatmeal!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have issues with oats but when I did try oatmeal, I too found it made me hungrier, as is the case with most carbohydrates in my case, thus I stick to cottage cheese and banana or eggs and such things, which leave me feeling fuller for much longer. My only carbs tend to come from fruit, vegetables, wholefood bars and organic rice cakes these days. Even just adding a sweet potato to a meal high in protein seems to bring about more hunger in me, so yeah. You could always try and make it more filling, I suppose, by adding some protein powder and a few nuts/seeds.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    oh wow, yeah. i cannot do oatmeal.

try oatbran....

i always have oatbran with 1-2 TBSP of psyllium husk... soo much fiber and way more nutrients than oatmeal plus it GROWS so it fills much more of the bowl :)
  • met42485
    met42485 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I had this problem for ages. Then I started mixing in about 1/4 c of yogurt and some walnuts or chia seeds. Now it's one of my favorite breakfasts and keeps me full until lunch time :happy:
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry sooner after eating oatmeal for breakfast (hungry by mid-morning) than if I eat scrambled eggs with veggies and meat for breakfast (not hungry until lunch, at least)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i don't think oatmeal is so great. too many carbs!

bacon and eggs is so much more satisfying.

That is what my husband says, too. But if all I eat is bacon and eggs, I'm hungry again, just as quick as I was with oatmeal.

For me, I have to have carbs and protein to feel satisfied.

that is surprising! the fat keeps me so full.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    When I make it I add frozen berries and some chocolate protein powder. It's delicious.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    My typical breakfast: Oatmeal, a banana, a protein shake, and a couple cups of coffee. Works wonderfully well and I can't say I'm starving at lunch time.
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Doesn't hold me either, so my standard breakast that keeps me satisfied until lunch is: 1 soft boiled egg cut up on a half slice of good bread toasted with 8 grams of full fat cheddar cheese melted on top.
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i add peanut butter and usually have it with a shot of whey protein. it keeps me good for around 3 hours.

I do this! eat breakfast around 8:00 am and lunch around 12:30. (and i use real oats or steel cut oats because those packets just don't do it)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem until I started adding 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of greek yogurt, fresh fruit, walnuts & honey to mine. Much better!
  • avt85
    avt85 Posts: 64
    Options
    i find that by making a sachet of oatmeal, eating it slowly (using a teaspon rather than a tablespoon) and drinking water in between each time I go for a serve, it actually fills me up (as it expands in the tummy).
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Doesn't fill me up either! I like my oatmeal PLAIN so adding in all the fruits, yogurt, nuts, etc. is out for me.

I've started eating an apple and a whole grain cracker with Laughing Cow cheese wedge along with my oatmeal and even that lasts me less than 2 hours...
  • softballmom33
    softballmom33 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I eat Bob's Red Mill 5 grain with Flax every morning, very filling and yummy!
  • missindepndnt86
    missindepndnt86 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i add peanut butter and usually have it with a shot of whey protein. it keeps me good for around 3 hours.

I was thinking of adding peanut butter for some protein also. I just haven't been eating it lately though, I love eggs so it works well for me in the mornings.
  • missindepndnt86
    missindepndnt86 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem until I started adding 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of greek yogurt, fresh fruit, walnuts & honey to mine. Much better!

Greek yogurt, now there's a thought! :happy:
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    PROTEIN!