What should I add to my mini home gym?

Options
I currently have aerobic weights, weights that go from 3kg to 20kg, skipping rope, one of those twisty stomach things (No idea what they are called) mat, wheel, and a little trampoline.

Can anyone suggest anything to add? (I am a student and on a budget so can't be adding machines or anything too expensive)

Also are heart rate monitors easy to use and worth it?

Replies

• Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Bumpidy bump
  • jwilson80121
    jwilson80121 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like the resistance training, with the rubber band type things.. Idk what they are called lol. Good luck
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I like the resistance training, with the rubber band type things.. Idk what they are called lol. Good luck

i love these myself!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Olympic weights, barbell and a power rack?
  • Itsallbs15
    Itsallbs15 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have a yoga/medicine ball, weights, and a treadmill. The treadmill was $100 on craig's list. Its nothing fancy but does the job.
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I asked for a step for my last birthday (like they use in step aerobics). It's been great to have around and it doesn't take up much space. It is very versatile and you can set it up in front of the tv if you want :)
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I would say 100% yes to the question about HRM

Easy peasy to use and give you a far more accurate read then the stats given on here

Polar FT4 is a good choice
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    Resistance bands and eventually a pullup bar.. Don't need much else for now. Eventually, if you wanna go beast mode you can get a medicine ball or two.
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I personally use a variety of different videos - Jillian Michaels Shred and Ripped, and Charlene Johnson/Beachbody Turbo Jam's are currently my faves. I also have an exercise ball - and they come with a dvd of 100's of exercises - also really good. Good Luck
  • bettymustlooseweight
    Options
    heart rate monitor is WELL worth the money, I love mine!. They run about $100 but are great!
  • TurningBackTheHandsOfTime
    Options
    Highly recommend HRM's not only for keeping track of your intensity but also for safety, also you might think about adding dip bars or push up bars they allow you to get a deeper push or dip. Good luck!
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies =) I forgot to mention I do have a step so that was right on the idea I like.

I think I will get hold of the resistance bands. I have looked at the chin up bar last night as something to be working towards but a little nervous with the ones I've seen splintering the door.

Will definitely get myself a HRM since I've heard a lot about them being more accurate. also have a little collection of exercise DVD's so I might try and add a little more to them.

Thanks again =)
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I love the Ministry of Sound Pump it Up workout (the original- Diane Berry from Call on Me vid)

Its a real good calorie burner, its not based on stupid dance moves and its fun. The following MOS workouts became far too choreography based dance which I hate

I do it in between the 30 Day Shred for a good cardio workout
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    I don't know how I forgot to mention this but I do have a stationary bike -_-

My DVD's are mainly Jillian michaels (30 ds, 6 week 6 pack, banish fat and boost metabolism and no more trouble zones) so I will definitely look out for the MOS DVD. Thanks =)