Are you supposed to do strength before cardio?

Options
I don't know if this matters, but when you go to the gym are you supposed to do the weight lifting and strength exercises before you do the cardio workout?

Replies

• Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I think I've always heard strength before cardio if you're doing them in the same workout time. Helps make sure you aren't too worn out to focus on good form.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Yes for the reason mentioned above.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yes. And if you do strength right, then the hardest cardio you can do after is a light walk.
    Maybe a limp.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If your cardio session is somewhat lengthy, intense, and involves muscle groups you plan to exercise through strength training, then its recommended to do it after. Strength training alone can be quite taxing on the muscles and connective tissue, so (as one of the posters mentioned) you want to ensure you have the focus and stamina to maintain proper form. You can go back in forth using an interval approach between cardio and strength training but you should only do so if it doesn't compromise performance and efficacy in regards to the latter - proper form is paramount with strength training.
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    Strength before Cardio. I remember from my state (SC). I'm weird like that.
  • Ke1ra78
    Ke1ra78 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My gym instructor told me to always do a 5 min cardio warm up before doing strength/weight work so as you don't pull a muscle. Works for me. I do a warm up followed by a 40-50 min strength workout then half hrs cardio and cool down and stretch. :-)
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Unless you are trying to change/adjust running/cardio form, and then do your running/cardio first and strength second. It all depends on what you want to be focusing on when you are full of energy.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you.