fructose?

Options
I was wondering if fructose and HFCS are basically the same thing? My guts telling me that it is..

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Both bad (in large amounts). HFCS is a mixture of fructose and glucose.

Here is a good link regarding fructose: http://www.tomwedgwood.co.uk/too-much-fructose-bad-for-your-diet/
  • christahollis
    Options
    Fructose is the naturally occuring sugar found in fruits. All by itself, it's not bad for you...but packs a calorie punch similar to refined sugar. It causes an insulin spike that is greater than let's say, whole wheat stuff, but it's not bad for you by any stretch. But be aware, people have been eating fruit for all of recorded history--and beyond, and the medical community is consistently reminding us that we need more servings of fruits and veggies. So enjoy, it's natural, sweet, and not empty calories as it comes with nutrients as well.
    HFCS, on the other hand, is a chemically altered corn syrup with no nutritional value beyond delivering the calories. Evidence has been mounting that it's really not good for you, and the fact that it is artifically derived...doesn't speak well for it.

They're NOT the same thing, and given the choice...I'll go for the all-natural fructose in a piece of fruit any day.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Fructose is the naturally occuring sugar found in fruits. All by itself, it's not bad for you...but packs a calorie punch similar to refined sugar. It causes an insulin spike that is greater than let's say, whole wheat stuff, but it's not bad for you by any stretch. But be aware, people have been eating fruit for all of recorded history--and beyond, and the medical community is consistently reminding us that we need more servings of fruits and veggies. So enjoy, it's natural, sweet, and not empty calories as it comes with nutrients as well.
    HFCS, on the other hand, is a chemically altered corn syrup with no nutritional value beyond delivering the calories. Evidence has been mounting that it's really not good for you, and the fact that it is artifically derived...doesn't speak well for it.

They're NOT the same thing, and given the choice...I'll go for the all-natural fructose in a piece of fruit any day.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Christa, you gave a perfect answer!

• jaxterbom
    Options
    From what I've read, fructose from fruit doesn't have any effect on insulin production, since it is a sugar that can be converted directly to energy. From the SweetSurprise site:

"Among common sweeteners, pure glucose triggers the greatest insulin release, while pure fructose triggers the least. Both table sugar and high fructose corn syrup trigger about the same intermediate insulin release because they contain nearly equal amounts of glucose and fructose."

According to the NutritionData site, an apple has a Glycemic Load factor of 3: Quite low.

223140.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter