ok I'm going to listen to you now but please help

Options
So many of you advocate to eat all your calories and eat back your exercise calories so I'm going to try. I'm on 1200 per day but I find eating lean protein, fruit, veggies and low carb foods that I currently eat is a lot of food and I don't usually make it to 1200. Should I eat less desirable foods just to get to the 1200-1500?

Thanks, I'll try what you recommend to get the weight loss going again!

Replies

• callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Nope. Best way to do it that I've found is to add back in some healthy fats. Calorie dense but HEALTHY foods like almonds or nut butters.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    But there are so many desirable foods that are yummy! Peanut butter, nuts of all kinds, avocados, come to mind.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats - olive oil, sunflower oil, etc.

Also - nuts and nut butters are great (I personally LOVE Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds)

Full-fat dairy - cheese, sour cream, etc.

And carbs aren't always the enemy - they provide great energy. Sweet potatoes, brown rice, whole grain bread, whole grain pasta.
  • teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Most of us will be able to eat whatever we want and still lose weight as long as we're on a calorie deficit. I wouldn't recommend eating less then 1200 calories, not really all that good for you. I would try to add in some carbs (I know, how dare I recommend carbs!) and like others have said, healthy fats.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Eggs, milk, yogurt, cheese, nuts, peanut butter, avocado, whole wheat bread, almonds, oatmeal, high fiber cereals, lean meats like chicken and turkey, mixed nuts with raisins, extra lean beef, all these foods will increase your calorie intake but still leave you with moderately low carbs and high protein. Good luck :)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    So many of you advocate to eat all your calories and eat back your exercise calories so I'm going to try. I'm on 1200 per day but I find eating lean protein, fruit, veggies and low carb foods that I currently eat is a lot of food and I don't usually make it to 1200. Should I eat less desirable foods just to get to the 1200-1500?

No, you should definitely not revert to eating rubbishy foods just to pack in extra calories.

Have you lost 22lbs since joining MFP in June 2012 or had you lost some before that? If you have lost that 22lbs since joining here, that is an excellent weightloss and I am wondering why on earth you are trying to change it!
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options

No, you should definitely not revert to eating rubbishy foods just to pack in extra calories.

Have you lost 22lbs since joining MFP in June 2012 or had you lost some before that? If you have lost that 22lbs since joining here, that is an excellent weightloss and I am wondering why on earth you are trying to change it!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Nope. Best way to do it that I've found is to add back in some healthy fats. Calorie dense but HEALTHY foods like almonds or nut butters.

That. Plus avacado, olive oils, balsalmic dressing, etc.
  • Laurie1267
    Options
    Yes, I have lost 22 pounds since starting MFP in June, but for the last week and a half - nothing! I keep reading things about putting your body in starvation mode and I'm getting a little concerned that maybe I should be eating more.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary, so can't comment. But here are some high calorie foods you could add in to your meal plans somewhere

Fats

Olives
    Avocado
    Butter
    Olive Oil
    Cream cheese
    Sour cream

Carbs

Grape nuts
    Granola
    Granola bars
    Organic food bars
    (You get the picture...BARS!)
    Shredded wheat
    Tortillas
    Grainy breads
    Bagels
    Crackers
    Seeded crispbread
    Bananas
    Grapes
    Dried fruits
    Brown Rice
    Oatmeal
    Barley
    Quinoa
    Yams
    Sweet Potato
    Potatoes/natural chips
    Fritos/tortilla chips
    Sesame sticks
    Corn nuts
    Peas
    Corn
    Beans/Refried beans
    Chestnuts
    Mollasses
    Honey
    Maple Syrup
    Raw cane sugar
    All-fruit jellies

Proteins

Beans/Refried beans
    Hummus
    Salmon
    Tuna
    Sardines
    Chicken
    Red meat
    Full-fat tofu
    Whole eggs
    Cheese
    Greek/Whole milk yogurt
    Protein Powders

Drinks

Whole milk
    Fruit Juice
    Vegetable juice
  • Laurie1267
    Options
    Thank you all! I'll open up my food diary for you.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have lost 22 pounds since starting MFP in June, but for the last week and a half - nothing! I keep reading things about putting your body in starvation mode and I'm getting a little concerned that maybe I should be eating more.

I don't think you need to worry about starvation mode, but 1200 calories is pretty low. There are a lot of people on here who have found that to be unsustainable (myself included); however there are those who find 1200 a comfortable place and don't want to go above it.

22lbs since starting in June is great - be aware that your numbers will slow down the closer you get to your goal. If you have a lot to lsoe in the beginning, it can come off really fast. The last few pounds are always the hardest. Just remember that weight loss isn't linear - you won't always lose the same amount every week.

If you are interested in upping your calories, search the topic "Eat more, weigh less" for info. Good luck!
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options

That. Plus avacado, olive oils, balsalmic dressing, etc.

*nods*
    And if you do dairy, don't be afraid of doing some of the full-fat stuff.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Just up your fat intake a little, but do it with healthy fats. If you like peanut butter, eat it. You will see your calories shoot right up!

Add a little olive oil to your dishes, Or add avacado, nuts, or seeds to your salads. Nuts and seeds are great in stir fry too! Fat has more than twice the calories per volume of carbs and protein and your body needs healthy fats. It's great for skin and hair too!
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    The complication is your Gastric Bypass. Probably not a bad idea to ask your Doctor what they recommend as well. If you physically can't fit any more food in, then I think the only option might be to swap up to some full versions of what you're eating now. Whole milk instead of Skim etc etc. See what the Doc says :smile: