Coconut milk!

AmyfromBama
AmyfromBama Posts: 125 Member
So I bought some coconut milk the other day at wal mart! I was wondering if any of you have any good recipes i could make with it?? Thanx! :)

Replies

• callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    I made some yummy Fried Apples last night with a bit of coconut milk.
    http://everydaypaleo.com/2011/02/25/sausage-n-cabbage-noodles-with-fried-apples/

And I made these a week or so ago and they were SOOO sweet! (I made it into 4 servings and I couldn't even finish a whole serving!)

http://everydaypaleo.com/2011/02/15/chocolate-custard/

NOM!
  • AmyfromBama
    Thanx for the recipes!!!! They both look yummy!!! Well have to try them very very soon!!! :)
  • allyjoy83
    allyjoy83 Posts: 176 Member
    coconut milk is great for a lot of things. I soak lean meats in it before I cook them up. If you wanna make curry, coconut milk is a necessity. it's also great in smoothies.
  • tizzie_14
    tizzie_14 Posts: 72
    I blend it with my Shakeology. YUM!
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    I like coconut rice pudding.
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    great for making oatmeal, on cereal, with ovaltine :) I love the stuff in my protein shakes.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    You can make whipped cream with it.
  • cmhollis1
    cmhollis1 Posts: 35 Member
    Put a can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. Next day, take it out and open it up. You should see a layer of cream on top. Scoop the cream off the top without getting any of the liquid on the bottom. Whip the cream with an electric mixer for 5 minutes or so until peaks will stand. Fold in some melted dark chocolate (I recommend 70% or higher) to form a mousse. Serve with fresh berries for a great dessert. I suppose honey, raw sugar or even Stevia could be added to sweeten it up a little.

The remaining liquid from the bottom of the can should be used in a smoothie or whatever.

I found this recipe on marksdailyapple.com.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    What kind of coconut milk? The stuff in the carton or the stuff in the can? I believe they're two totally different things (with different caloric values). Awesome, but different.

The canned one is good for:
    - coconut rice
    - curries
    - marinades
    - baking pies
    - soups

The one in the carton is "replacement" for milk (I use that term loosely so I don't get slammed) for adults who don't do regular milk.
    - in a bowl of cereal
    - in regular oatmeal
    - in baked oatmeal (YUM!)
    - in shakes
    - sauces
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    I drink it plain hahahah! :) Or I use it when making Asian food. Get a chicken breast and put it in Coconut milk, reduce that to about half then season with lemon pepper and salt and you have some good flavor. Make some basmati rice with Cumin and Parsley with a bit of Curry powder. So good. :)
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    I love coconut milk- i drink the Silk vanilla one with breakfast, have it in my oatmeal or over cereal, make hot chocolate with it... They even make coconut milk ice cream, which is delicious.
  • AmyfromBama
    Thanx for all the tips and recipes!!!! Yes its the coconut milk in the cartoon! I havent seen it in the cans? And I tried to drink it plain and it just was not my cup of tea lol ... Same way with almond milk, I cant drink it straight!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 909 Member
    Put a can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. Next day, take it out and open it up. You should see a layer of cream on top. Scoop the cream off the top without getting any of the liquid on the bottom. Whip the cream with an electric mixer for 5 minutes or so until peaks will stand. Fold in some melted dark chocolate (I recommend 70% or higher) to form a mousse. Serve with fresh berries for a great dessert. I suppose honey, raw sugar or even Stevia could be added to sweeten it up a little.

The remaining liquid from the bottom of the can should be used in a smoothie or whatever.

I found this recipe on marksdailyapple.com.

holy mother of god thats what im talkin abt!!

i put it in my coffee
  • RejoicingL
    RejoicingL Posts: 95 Member
    I like it with cereal. It is extra good in shakes, too.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    May I also suggest getting the ones from Zico that are flavored? They just came out with a Dark Chocolate one that I am currently wracking my brain over on how to incorporate it in recipes.

By itself its very very good! Liek chocolate milk- and 14 ounces for 110 cals that puts a ton of potassium and iron into your system? Pfffftttttt.... count me in!
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    I like coconut milk ice cream.

mix with sugar and unsweetened cocoa powder to taste, whisk well and throw in ice cream maker... tastes like an almond joy bar! :)
    you can also use, agave, or stevia if you prefer
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    May I also suggest getting the ones from Zico that are flavored? They just came out with a Dark Chocolate one that I am currently wracking my brain over on how to incorporate it in recipes.

By itself its very very good! Liek chocolate milk- and 14 ounces for 110 cals that puts a ton of potassium and iron into your system? Pfffftttttt.... count me in!

^^^^^^ and this! zico is so YUM!
  • AmyfromBama
    I like coconut milk ice cream.

mix with sugar and unsweetened cocoa powder to taste, whisk well and throw in ice cream maker... tastes like an almond joy bar! :)
    you can also use, agave, or stevia if you prefer

That sounds really good too!! But where can i find agave or stevia at?? Does wal mart have it?
  • AmyfromBama
    I made some yummy Fried Apples last night with a bit of coconut milk.
    http://everydaypaleo.com/2011/02/25/sausage-n-cabbage-noodles-with-fried-apples/

And I made these a week or so ago and they were SOOO sweet! (I made it into 4 servings and I couldn't even finish a whole serving!)

http://everydaypaleo.com/2011/02/15/chocolate-custard/

NOM!

Making the chocolate custard today!!! :)
  • I mix mine with crunchy peanut butter, sriracha, and a little soy sauce. Add some sauteed chicken, veggies, garlic, and noodles. Pretty tasty. :love: