zucchini help

Options

Replies

• vishk2809
    vishk2809 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    OMG. I just tried this yesterday and it was BRILLIANT.

Zucchini pasta! It's ribbons of zucchini that, when boiled for 2-3 minutes, take on the exact consistency and firmness of pasta and taste great with any pasta sauce / pesto. And, the best part, it has less than 40 calories per serving!! I LOVE it. I am never eating pasta again ^_^
    Word of advice when trying it out : don't compare it to pasta itself, okay? if in your head you're just like 'UGH this is too healthy, nothing like my delicious carbs', then you're not going to like it. So enter with an open mind, and you will leave satisfied :)

Recipe / info :
    http://johndlee.hubpages.com/hub/Zuccini_pasta_recipe__Not_zucchini_with_pastaZucchini_as_pasta
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Zucchini bread - freezes great (allrecipes.com...search for "mom's zucchini bread")

Sliced & grilled with a little bit of olive oil, salt & pepper and red pepper flakes is delicious

Again..on allrecipes.com - "zucchini patties" are fantastic!

Here's another recipe that tastes like apple crisp (w/no apples). It makes a ton and isn't really diet friendly, but if you have a party to go to, its a great dessert to bring.

Faux Apple (Zucchini) Sheet Pie:

6-8 CUPS ZUCCHINI (peeled & chopped)
    2/3 cup lemon juice
    cook until tender

ADD;
    1 cup sugar
    ½ t. cinnamon
    ¼ t. nutmeg
    simmer and add ½ cup crust mixture to thicken

CRUST
    4 cups flour
    2 cups sugar
    ½ t. salt
    l ½ c. margarine

Combine dry ingredients and cut in margarine until crumbly.

Spread ½ crust mixture on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375* for 10 minutes. Pour filling on top of hot crust and crumble remaining crust over top. Bake 30 min. Cut into squares.

EDIT...for the record, I didn't realize this wasn't under "recipes" when I posted this, but I'll leave the receipes up anyway :laugh:
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Is this a serious question?
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    I made this just like http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/07/sausage-stuffed-zucchini-boats.html
    but used tuna flakes instead and to mellow smell down added homemade pesto. Even my 5 yr old twins love them. They call them pizza boat. Works for me.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Found this receipe a couple of days ago on here and it sounds amazing!!!

Zucchini, include skin, raw, 1 cup, chopped
    Onions - Raw, 1/4 cup, chopped
    Parmesean Cheese Grated - 1/4 cup
    Panko Bread Crumbs- 1/4 cup
    Eggs - Whole, raw, 1 large

I put the onion and zucchini in the food processor so it's finely chopped. Mix everything together. Spoon by the teaspoonful into mini muffin tin (GREASED) Pat down with back of spoon. 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until you notice them getting a beautiful brown crust on the edges. Makes 12 tots per tin.

This sounds delish. Can't wait to make it.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i ❤ zucchini

the only problem that when you get very large zucchini, the seeds tend to be very large. i like to buy smaller, baby zucchinis

however- having large zucchini isn't a bad thing, my number 1 suggestion would be to make zucchini pasta :)
    take a vegetable peeler, and peel long flat strips making your way around the zucchini until reaching the large seeds, blanch quickly in boiling water and top with pasta sauce! it's light and low carb & low calorie!!!

❤melissa
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Cut zucchini into big chunks, also chunk up some yellow squash, onions (whatever color you like), and tomato. Drizzle a little EVOO into a big saute pan, saute veggies with generous amounts of garlic, parsley, pepper, and sweet basil. Cook until you start to get a little brown on your veggies. Then eat a big helping. It's delicious, filling, and healthy.
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Cut zucchini into big chunks, also chunk up some yellow squash, onions (whatever color you like), and tomato. Drizzle a little EVOO into a big saute pan, saute veggies with generous amounts of garlic, parsley, pepper, and sweet basil. Cook until you start to get a little brown on your veggies. Then eat a big helping. It's delicious, filling, and healthy.

I make this ALL of the time in big batches. I dont let them brown and use the juice of a can of diced tomatoes. I will add
    on spaghetti squash - SO AMAZING and healthy
    Especially topped with a sprinkle or two of parm cheese & red pepper flakes

OH YEAH BABY
  • thomakg
    thomakg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Use zucchini instead of lasagna noodles! Slice them thinly, put in a colander in the sink, sprinkle with salt and let the salt remove the water - after a half hour or so, when the water beads on them, rinse off the salt and quickly dry them. Use them just like lasagna noodles - I like using Yves Veggie Ground Round instead of hamburger and lost of extra veggies and pasta sauce. Best veggie lasagna ever!.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I cut them up and sautee them with some onion, squash, olive oil and salt and pepper.
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    that is awesome- ive made that too- great as a casserole too
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    From my blog, so there's pics :flowerforyou:

http://www.futureskinny*****recipes.blogspot.com/2012/05/stuffed-zucchini-boats.html

http://www.futureskinny*****recipes.blogspot.com/2012/05/zucchini-bites.html

And it's gonna put **** where a certain word is, you'll have to type it in. It rhymes with witch. :wink:
  • NajahDaMuslimah
    Options
    I love to sautee zucchini with onions, and yellow squash. And sometimes I add an assortment of peppers (bell, banana, orange, and red) with a teaspoon or two of soy sauce.
  • beccas27
    beccas27 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    U could always cut it up & put on a taco, Do u think it would ruin a taco?.. I like tacos.. Don't wanna ruin them :smile:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    It is awesome cut in slabs, brushed with your favorite marinade and olive oil, and grilled on the BBQ!!!!!!
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    I like to hollow them out.....
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

OH MY G.....

*whimpers*

That looks so .... so very good.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Found this receipe a couple of days ago on here and it sounds amazing!!!

Zucchini, include skin, raw, 1 cup, chopped
    Onions - Raw, 1/4 cup, chopped
    Parmesean Cheese Grated - 1/4 cup
    Panko Bread Crumbs- 1/4 cup
    Eggs - Whole, raw, 1 large

I put the onion and zucchini in the food processor so it's finely chopped. Mix everything together. Spoon by the teaspoonful into mini muffin tin (GREASED) Pat down with back of spoon. 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until you notice them getting a beautiful brown crust on the edges. Makes 12 tots per tin.

This sounds delish. Can't wait to make it.

they are awesome i made them a few times now. i add a little bit of crushed red pepper to add some spice.
  • MandaKayMakesIt
    Options
    I've got a great and simple recipe for a pasta dish that's a bit different and SO delicious on my blog: http://mandakaymakesit.wordpress.com/2012/06/04/summer-on-a-plate/
  • TeamEdwardJenn
    TeamEdwardJenn Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Bake them like potatoe chips :)