Low-Carb AND cheap? Need Recipes!!

Options
TheKoren
TheKoren Posts: 20 Member
Trying to do low-carb on a VERY low budget. Any good recipes for cheap? I'm getting soooo sick of canned tuna.

Replies

• funicello
    funicello Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this counts but it is my favorite meal. I am on a gluten free, mostly meat free diet.

Grilled Veggies

1 Portabella Mushroom, whole
    1 Green Bell Pepper, sliced in rings
    1 Vidalia Onion, sliced in rings
    1 Habanero or Jalapeno, sliced in half
    1 medium Tomato, sliced in half
    1 slice Pepperjack Cheese
    2 TBSP Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

Saute veggies in a tiny bit of olive oil. Season with Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle. Grill. Melt cheese on mushroom, then add layers of peppers, onions & tomatoes. Top with hummus. You could add meat or beans for protein but I find this EXTREMELY filling.
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I can usually get boneless, skinless chicken pretty cheap. There are tons of ways to make it that is very low cal. One of my favorites is to marinate it in Italian dressing, grill it, then put it over a salad.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about eggs. I'm actually adding milk back into my diet in small amounts partly because I sure as heck can't afford a wide variety of high protein foods three meals a day.

I'm also planning on buying a nice, fatty piece of buttroast for the crockpot. Should be several meals worth of low carb goodness and it's a change up from expensive ribeye.
  • bonnie5455
    Options
    If your cholesterol is good you can add more meat and eggs. I usually have some kind of scrambled eggs with veggies and meat in the morning and will split it up to eat again for lunch.

Taco salads or chef salads without the bread/tortilla bowl.

Chili...I lost a bit of weight with chili. Low carbs, very filling...but not such a good summer food!

Stir fry...any veggie you like with a dash of sauce w/wo meat. Boneless chicken with fresh green beans and teriyaki sauce is good. A little fills you up so it goes a long way and it will freeze well.

If you look up Southbeach diet recipes...you might find more. Hope this helps.