Pasta

as543
as543 Posts: 38 Member
Is it a no no to eat pasta often if it fits into my calorie budget? On the 100s of diets I have tried before this (medifast, south beach, ww- you name it) I would have never considered to do this. Pasta is forbidden. But if I have room for 2 oz for dinner can I have it? Even more than once a week?

Replies

• xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    If you have the calories you can go ahead and eat pasta...just don't overdue carbs and go ever them daily
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    I'm not an expert, but I have it at least once a week and I've been losing steadily.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 516 Member
    I guarantee that you will get a zillion different answers here. That is because everyone is is on a different journey.

I, personally, still eat pasta once in a while. I have come up with some great substitues for most of the time, but occasionally, I want it, so I eat it. As long as I have the room in my calorie "budget", I am good to go.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Is it a no no to eat pasta often if it fits into my calorie budget? On the 100s of diets I have tried before this (medifast, south beach, ww- you name it) I would have never considered to do this. Pasta is forbidden. But if I have room for 2 oz for dinner can I have it? Even more than once a week?

Yes, you could eat it every single day and lose weight, unless you had some sensitivities to gluten or other medical reason to avoid it.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    I eat 2 oz of pasta in my lunch every day. Eat it if it fits into your calorie goals. Don't let the food nazi's scare you away.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    I eat wheat noodles =) I love 'em so much yummier <3 Ignore what all of those programs say..they just try to sound like they know what they are talking about...they are out to make money. If it fits into your cal's and everything else, then you're fine! =)
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    YES! Eat the pasta! Enjoy the pasta!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    not a no-no. it's a yes-yes
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    I've been eating it whenever I want. As long as it fits into your calories & macros, you should still lose or maintain... or bulk, depending on your goals & energy expenditure vs. calorie intake. Barring a medical condition or true intolerance.
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    I still have the occasional pasta dinner, but I eat less per serving and I use Dreamfields brand because my boyfriend and another friend of mine are diabetic and their diabetes docs told them to use it because it is low carb.
  • mscrumbyy
    mscrumbyy Posts: 116
    I still eat it, but I'm more careful with my portions cause otherwise I can eat it forever.
  • laurahrmn
    laurahrmn Posts: 15 Member
    Yes. Eat pasta! :) Carbs are your body's main source of energy, if you don't eat enough carbs, your body will resort to protein, which you need for your muscles!
  • thomakg
    thomakg Posts: 69 Member
    Try spaghetti squash instead of pasta - it's soooo good! And zucchini slices for lasagna noodles!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I have pasta almost daily. And when I don't, it's because I'm having rice or pizza. It fits in my calories and I enjoy it.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Me and Steve Perry eat pasta all the time, as long as it fits in my calories.
  • Balance is the key with any food you choose to eat from my experience. To keep from overeating the bad foods I do two things.
    1. Drink a glass of water whenever I feel hungry and before meals
    2. Eat my raw vegetables first.

Doing this has made my weight loss and maintenance efforts so much easier.

Joe A.
    ****POST EDITED BY STAFF for violation of guideline #14
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    If you have the calories you can go ahead and eat pasta...
    ^^x2 this although if your diet consists of high carbs you will gain some water weight.
  • as543
    as543 Posts: 38 Member
    Thank you all. With two little ones at home by the time I get around to cooking and eating my dinner in famished. Pasta is quick and yummy so knowing that I can look forward to a 2 oz portion of pasta helps me keep from snacking on their leftovers!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Balance is the key with any food you choose to eat from my experience. To keep from overeating the bad foods I do two things.
    1. Drink a glass of water whenever I feel hungry and before meals
    2. Eat my raw vegetables first.

Doing this has made my weight loss and maintenance efforts so much easier.

Joe A.
    General Manager
    ProteinCo Canada
    10% Off Coupon Code: 10proteincof
    www.ProteinCo.ca

I know you're way super new, but as an FYI, it's no-no to post advertisements in the threads. You seem like a really great user and the moderators would definitely like to see you continue to use MFP, but you can't post websites hawking your junk.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    mmmm.... pasta.