Walking 1.5 miles to work and 1.5 miles back home

Options
Desterknee
Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
Should I log this as exercise? It's not anything new, my body is used to it and for whatever reason I just don't consider it exercise.

Log? Don't log? Thoughts?

Thanks

Replies

• senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    hell yeah you log it!! you walked right? your body used calories to do that walking, right? Log it!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    turn it into a jog and log the helll out of it..............
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    If its been your routine for awhile, and not done purposefully for exercise, then I wouldn't log it. Your body is probably conditioned to the daily walk. Now, if you doubled the distance walked, that I would log.

I don't log walking my dog as I did this daily before joining MFP. But if I take her for an extra long stroll at a quicker pace on the weekend, then this I do log as its purposeful exercise and exertion.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Did you set your lifestyle to include that walk?

If YES, don't log it, because your lifestyle already includes it.

If NO (in other words, if you used "sedentary" as your lifestyle), log that sucker!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Walking is good cardio IF you are pushing the pace, swinging your arms, and slightly out of breath. Otherwise, I would not log as exercise but you might want to bump up your activity level a bit.
  • frefrebelle
    frefrebelle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I used to walk a lot, but since my desk job it's waned, so stopped considering it exercise.

I have recently started wearing a pedometer out of curiosity, it does a rough estimate of calories burned and anything above 200, which I have worked out is my average walking kcal for the day, I add.

Not sure if that helps, or is even sensible...thoughts gratefully accepted :)

Good luck all!
  • Desterknee
    Options
    turn it into a jog and log the helll out of it..............

I live in NYC, and work in midtown manhattan. No room to jog in rush hour foot traffic. Its a dense sea of people. I am trying to build up my stamina to start cycling again though. I have a big heavy department store mountain bike that I want to start using to commute to school which is about 3 miles away. I tried it once and I nearly had a heart attack! between the weight of the bike and my body weight, it was a really intense work out but I was soaked head to toe then had to walk into class like that. So I have a stationary bike at home I am going to begin to practice on so I can build up to taking the real bike out.

THEN when I have biked consistently the whole semester I will get fitted for a proper bike from my local shop which is right around the corner from my apt. Can't wait!
  • Desterknee
    Options
    Did you set your lifestyle to include that walk?

If YES, don't log it, because your lifestyle already includes it.

If NO (in other words, if you used "sedentary" as your lifestyle), log that sucker!

I did put sedentary. I sit on my butt a lot. It was so bad that I used to get hip pain (23 with hip pain, how depressing) which stopped occurring once I started walking to work everyday.

I guess I will log it. Or maybe I'll just log the walk one way and leave the other out.

Thanks for all the feedback