Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Running and legs rubbing?

2»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I've tried baby powder, vasoline, and body glide. They work for a bit, but any length of time I still chafe. I always go with longer shorts or tights/capris. I have since lost some weight so with the right running short I can run with no problems.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Vasoline or Aquafor... put on where it's chaffing before you run
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    The ones I wear are a bit like these: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageWRA-MWEC12.html
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 295 Member
    I use the Monistat anti chafing gel. I go for about 3 miles at a time, and it stays on for that long Great stuff.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    knee length shorts is the only thing I know of.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    I wear running tights too... for all my runs over 7-8km. I have 9" inseam compression shorts from Old Navy, a great pair of knee-length tights from walmart (believe it or not) and a pair of Lululemon compression tights. Anything over 45 mins planned gets tights. It's the only way to avoid the chafing and my thighs barely touch. Once they heat up, though, they swell and start rubbing. The body glide is okay, and I use it for my HR monitor strap, but tights are the only solution for thighs IMHO.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    I agree, longer shorts. Don't worry as you lose weight this will stop and you can go back to shorter shorts. :smile:
  • JulieDerda
    JulieDerda Posts: 163
    i just wear really tight shorts.. i gues you could call it spandex.. but they arent shinny and dont look bad.. It what charlene the girl on turbo fire wears :) . its the only thing i cn work out in when i cant wear pants.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    This may sounds strange, but diaper rash ointment is great for that. You can get many brands but I'd have to recommend Beaudreaux's Butt Paste. Chafing isn't funny, but at least you can giggle whenever you look at the bottle.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    I don't know about prevention, but corn starch helps it heal MUCH faster when I get this.....
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Lanocane anti chafe cream. It's the bomb. And cheap too.

agreed!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I wear running tights too... for all my runs over 7-8km. I have 9" inseam compression shorts from Old Navy, a great pair of knee-length tights from walmart (believe it or not) and a pair of Lululemon compression tights. Anything over 45 mins planned gets tights. It's the only way to avoid the chafing and my thighs barely touch. Once they heat up, though, they swell and start rubbing. The body glide is okay, and I use it for my HR monitor strap, but tights are the only solution for thighs IMHO.

^This. My running tights are like a second skin. It seems strange to wear them in the heat, but I've been wearing them for 10+ miles in 90 degree heat. My favorite pair is a running skirt with just below knee length tights from athleta. I wear compression shorts for shorter distances but the knee length ones don't move at all no matter how sweaty or long the run is. I can't stand yanking and tugging to keep my shorts in place. Ruins the zen of the run. LOL.
  • I used to have that problem real bad too.
    I bought some spandex running shorts (sort of like what you see some NBA players wearing)
    I would wear them under my sweat shorts, and it completely eliminated the problem.
  • rozsbluejay
    rozsbluejay Posts: 303 Member
    Is that why in the movie Juno the dude put on deodorant?
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    It's chafing, all runners get it from time to time. Your best bet is usually vaseline/body glide or to wear something like compression-type shorts under your running shorts. Anti-perspirant is probably not your best bet, it will help to keep the area dry but once you're chaffed that isn't going to make the pain go away.

You're probably also going to experience nipple irritation/chafing at some point (if you haven't already). For a woman you probably want to use vaseline/body glide or put band aids/tape over them to stop the fabric on skin rubbing.

You may also want to apply lotion to chaffed areas when you're not running.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    You're gonna either have to try longer shorts or the Body Glide...sometimes I use BOTH!

This
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Is that why in the movie Juno the dude put on deodorant?

Yes. Some people just use deodorant.
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    I use deodorant religiously. I forgot it the other day on my 6 mile run and actually made a stop to buy some along the course. I cannot and will not run without deodorant on my legs. I use it even if I wear compression shorts! Its strange at first because you really notice it doesnt feel normal, but it works to prevent chaffing. If you are already chaffed, I dont recommend putting it on (it can really burn). In that case, use vaseline or something until it heals, then try deodorant. Its much cheaper than body glide and in my experience works just as well.