Heads Cropped Off

Options
Got your attention huh? :)

I've noticed some users do not display their face in their photos. Some also have photos of only the body or only the face but never together. (I"m not talking about those ashamed of their body, but like success stories).

I was thinking this must be so that they aren't as easily identifiable outside of MFP. If a person has a big gut in a "before" picture and looks great in the after, they probably still don't want someone outside of MFP seeing it. At first I personally would be cool with this, but then I remembered there are a lot of meanies in the world who would just focus on you being fat before and not fit now.

I was wondering, to those of you who crop off your heads if it is for a security reason, and if you have any other ideas about how to keep your journey a little bit less "for all the world to see". Conversely are you happy to share with the world, cellulite and all?

A tip I read the other day is to use a username unlike all your others, and a different email so work friends or facebook friends can't look you up unless you want to.

Replies

• TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    I don't crop my head off and I do plan to show before and after pics with great pride.

I've dealt with naysayers and negative people in the past, I can handle them again if need be.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm a system and database admin. I know too much about what you can do with a picture alone. That combined with being a paranoid security freak I prefer to remain anonymous
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I do crop my head off. LOL I have not posted anything here but when I blog I normally don't show my face. I am paranoid.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    Would neck down pictures be okay? Nobody can really tell who you are then..

Sometimes though I think its hard to admire how good looking a success story person is without their face... but is that worth whatever possible risk of some enemy putting a pig face on your body and sharing it at the office sometime later? I mean I imagine these horror stories waiting to happen. :ohwell:
  • b_fit4life
    b_fit4life Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've considered the security thing but I also don't plan on putting my ta-tas or my booty on display for all to see. I like to be able to check on my own progress when I'm here though. Plus, you could always list a different home town/state to help with the anonymity :-)
  • missymuffet459
    Options
    I'm a system and database admin. I know too much about what you can do with a picture alone. That combined with being a paranoid security freak I prefer to remain anonymous

This.
  • stonerdude
    stonerdude Posts: 103
    Options

I've noticed some users do not display their face in their photos. Some also have photos of only the body or only the face but never together. (I"m not talking about those ashamed of their body, but like success stories).

I was thinking this must be so that they aren't as easily identifiable outside of MFP. If a person has a big gut in a "before" picture and looks great in the after, they probably still don't want someone outside of MFP seeing it. At first I personally would be cool with this, but then I remembered there are a lot of meanies in the world who would just focus on you being fat before and not fit now.

I was wondering, to those of you who crop off your heads if it is for a security reason, and if you have any other ideas about how to keep your journey a little bit less "for all the world to see". Conversely are you happy to share with the world, cellulite and all?

A tip I read the other day is to use a username unlike all your others, and a different email so work friends or facebook friends can't look you up unless you want to.

This is a food tracking site, not a dating site! Why don't you display your diary???
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I just have a flower, i dunno why lol. I have pictures in my profile though aside from this one :)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I just don't want a picture that may be inappropriate in for my job should someone somehow find my account. No shame or whatnot. I look good now & that's what matters!! :bigsmile:
  • sowonderfultonight
    Options
    I usually crop off my head because I don't have any confidence in my face and want a nice body so I can feel at least somewhat self confident about the way I look \o/ but security, too, I guess. xD my MFP account isn't linked to /aaaaaaaaanything/ else. only one friend of mine knows what it is, but she's seen me at my worst, so it's nbd.
  • Romans624
    Options

This is a food tracking site, not a dating site! Why don't you display your diary???

What are you talking about dating? If you are referring to the blurb on my profile, its to keep flirting guys from thinking anything is going to happen. I talk about parts of my life that people may be interested in to get to know me. I'm not quite sure why you are telling me this is not a dating site... ***I am not here to date and I have not said I am here to date.****

My diary is open to my friends, personal choice. Why do you care if I display my diary, and why are these the only questions you are asking me besides the thread topic??

EDIT to ADD: People put pictures up of themselves for all kind of reasons - PROGRESS, fitness, showing off, feeling personable, and SOME people like to flirt, date, hoook up get married whatever. I never said I am here to do any of those things ... obviously I am here for support and to get my goals done and move on to the next.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    My excuse is that there are just so few recent pictures of me...and I'm not about to do one of those bathroom mirror self pics...(but if I ever do, you can bet I'll take it at a weird angle and will make a duck face)...
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    At least part of it is MFP itself. It seems on upload it does some cropping and if you're not in the center of the picture, parts of you are going to be lopped off when you upload your picture.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    honestly sometimes its hard to fit it all in the picture ...especially with a forward facing camera...
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    LOL it might be accidental like mine the boxes just don't seem big enough to get me all in and see it lol. When people click on my profile i am all there but apart from that my head is chopped off lol xx
  • Klegl
    Klegl Posts: 48
    Options
    For me personally, I used to have face and body pictures together but I wanted my main focus to be on my body.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

I don't mean to pry but is everything ok sir? You sound a bit grumpy.

This site is for whatever one might wanna use as long as its within the guidelines. Be it dating, doing math homework, counting calories or talking about how obsessed Taunto is with Rachel Maddow being Lesbian and never having a chance with her! People can hide their diaries if they want, this is why the creators of MFP gave us the option so grumpie folks like you cannot stalk somebody and try to disturb somebody over how they eat.

I hope you have a better day. Try looking at a puppy. That always helps

ec77d9f5-fb71-4db6-8090-29b5b56d290e.jpg
  • Romans624
    Options
    Taunto you so ROCK :D
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Wow what a way to answer her question. Maybe she doesn't care to have people see what she's eating after all she's doing this for her not you.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

This.

This.