sodium levels?

Options
Georg
Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
I left the sodium allowance at 2500 that MFP recommends. Does it seem high to you? I rarely hit it, even when I seem to be retaining water...
where do you set your sodium?

Replies

• Daniel78
    Options
    I left mine at the stock 2500 as well. I monitor it daily on my food log and track it just to help myself make healthier choices. Sometimes it's low at 1500-2000, when I make something home made it usually sits at 2200-2800. If I eat out or eat anything frozen it's easily at 3k-5k.

Since water retention adds pounds onto the scale when I weigh in daily I'll bloat up badly and gain a few pounds after a day of high sodium intake. This will cause me to lose motivation and go off of my diet for the day. If I want to bounce back and start feeling good again I'll just cut my sodium to sub 1500mg for the day and lose a few pounds of water weight overnight.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I've read many websites that state you should only have 1500mg sodium daily so i always wonder why MFP gives you so much sodium it seems high to me so i just try to stay between 1500-1800 mg daily...
  • Daniel78
    Options
    "The recommendation for sodium in the Dietary Guidelines for Americans from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services as well as the American Heart Association is 2,400 milligrams (mg) daily for adults. This is about the amount in 1 teaspoon of salt (2,300 mg to be exact). The average American consumes 5,000 mg of sodium daily — twice the necessary amount.

Normal sodium balance can be maintained with 500 mg daily (or a little more than one-fourth teaspoon of salt), so Americans are eating ten times as much as they really need. Canada, Australia, the United Kingdom, and Portugal all have about the same recommendation of 2,400 mg of sodium. Some countries, such as Germany (4,000 mg), the Netherlands (3,600 mg) and Belgium (3,500 mg), are more liberal and at least one country, Sweden (800 mg), is more restrictive than the United States."

From the following link:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/lowering-your-salt-intake.html
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    wow
    thanks
    I'm really doing well, then - better than I knew.
    :bigsmile: