Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight...

Options
kaseysospacey
kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
Do you have a ton of sagging skin or anything like that? I'm terrified that I'll lose weight and just look like a deflated sack. My mom (who is very overweight) is kind of against my dieting and has said that I'll look bad because of having been so heavy in the past, I'll just have skin to my knees and deflated boobs, etc. Is it really that bad?

Replies

• dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose 174 lbs tou'll most likely have some saggy/loose skin when you are done. I'm 6'4" and have lost about 160 lbs so far. I have a little bit of loose skin (but not as bad as I've seen on other people) and stretch marks. I am losing it rather slowly compared to other people my size that I know, about 1.5 lbs per week. I also lift weights three days a week and do cardio three days a week. I think that helps. The loose skin and stretch marks aren't nearly as bad as looking as fat as I did 160 lbs ago though.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, as well. There have been previous posts on this topic. The prevailing thought was that if you lose it slowly your body has time to bounce back. But I'm glad to hear it from people with first hand experience. Thanks dbrightwell for letting us know and great job!!
  • vickyd205
    vickyd205 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Given how much weight you want to lose, chances are you will have some saggy skin. I've lost 162 lbs in total and I definitely have saggy boobs and some saggy skin but I do have to say that it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I think losing it slowly helps, along with your age (I'm 47 so you're a lot younger than I am), but I think the biggest thing that helped me was exercising throughout the entire journey - a combo of cardio and weights.

In the end, a little loose skin is worth it to be able to live a healthier, happier life dontcha think?
  • EpicChristy
    EpicChristy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It depends on how well you take care of your skin, and how fast you lose weight. If you drink lots of water, use lotion, take vitamins, and eat a healthy diet your skin should keep its elasticity. You are young, so it will be much easier for you. Also, if you lose weight at a steady pace your body will be able to keep up. I wouldn't let my mother discourage me if i were you. Keep reading this site, and focusing on getting healthy!
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I lost a good deal of weight, I did have surgery to help with extra skin and may have another. With that said...
    LOST THE WEIGHT! You will not regret it! The benefits to being healthy far outweigh the downsides of loose skin! I would do it again in a heartbeat, everyone who sees you clothed will think you look better, only differences are naked and that really comes down to 1 person. My wife still fell in love with me despite the saggy skin, but supported me having surgery to have it removed! You have a while before you have to worry about it but you will feel a lot better if you drop the weight and enjoy life!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Given how much weight you want to lose, chances are you will have some saggy skin. I've lost 162 lbs in total and I definitely have saggy boobs and some saggy skin but I do have to say that it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I think losing it slowly helps, along with your age (I'm 47 so you're a lot younger than I am), but I think the biggest thing that helped me was exercising throughout the entire journey - a combo of cardio and weights.

In the end, a little loose skin is worth it to be able to live a healthier, happier life dontcha think?

Amazing progress! Your success is inspiring! And one day, I hope to be a little saggy and lot healthier too!
  • BeckyLH
    BeckyLH Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I lost 77lbs and had saggy skin on my tummy, like a post baby belly, ice put some back on now so it's not as bad but it's still there and will be when I lose more. I peaked at 245lbs.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    My mom (who is very overweight) is kind of against my dieting and has said that I'll look bad because of having been so heavy in the past, I'll just have skin to my knees and deflated boobs, etc.

As opposed to looking bad because you haven't lost the weight? I'd rather have the loose skin, if the choice is between the two. That said, many people just have their skin adjust to the new size over time. Others have surgery to remove the extra skin. Either way is fine.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I expect to be a bit saggy, but overweight people I know keep telling me I'll look deflated and terrible. I don't know why all of the overweight people I know are against me getting in shape? I am doing circuit training so I'm hoping to tone up a lot, I don't just want to lose weight, what I care about is losing inches of fat and gaining muscle. I care less about numbers and more about having less fat on my body and being stronger/having energy. I don't want to be skinny, I want to be fit! Maybe added muscle mass will help with minimizing the saggage. I do use coconut oil on my skin/hair so maybe that will help too.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Sadly for me, I've got a lot of excess skin on my tummy, but I've also had 4 children which hasn't helped.

If you're young, chances are your skin has its natural elasticity to pull it back into shape, but I know I will struggle without surgery, and I accept that. Keep up with the lotions to keep your skin in good condition, and the exercising will certainly help you loads.

At the end of the day, to me, my health is far more important than my appearance, but if I ever won Lotto....... watch this space!
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    #1 thing I am worried about.
    If I wasn't saving for college, I would be saving up for surgery just in case to be honest.

I do think it's worth it either way.
    I would rather have some sagging skin then being big, plus there is always the chance that it won't be that bad.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Yes! my belly hangs now- will never have firm skin anymore.
    You can see it in my curent pic- the pouch!

http://bluemorpho1247.wordpress.com/2012/07/11/360-me-updates/
  • NMJosephs
    NMJosephs Posts: 185
    Options
    Lose slowly and make sure you weight train! Good luck on your journey!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    No, because I lost the weight SLOWLY!
    Less than a pound per week.
  • nelsonad1
    nelsonad1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I did you lost some much so fast?
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You can check out my pics. I didn't work out much while I was losing, and haven't had many issues with skin. Since starting strength training I've noticed some of my trouble spots (triceps, thighs) tighten up, and it's not so noticeable. Still a little saggy though. It'll be different for everyone, but I don't think whether or not you'll have loose skin should deter anyone from getting healthy!
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I've lost 115 pounds in about 15 months, and honestly, the sagging is not that bad. I have a little bit of a pooch still and some inner thigh and arm flab, but nothing really noticable.
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I think that as long as you are losing the weight slowly and exercising you will definitely notice a tightening up of your skin along with stretch marks getting smaller and lighter.

yes this takes a long time and NO it should not stop you from working on your own personal health.

tell your mom to stfu because you are doing this for YOU
    not her
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 100 and the places where I carried the most weight are saggy.
    Not to be rude, but a large weight loss will more than likely leave saggy skin.
    There are some great surgeries to take care of excess skin if you're willing to
    pay the money and are able to have the time to recover properly. No matter
    what you choose to do in the end just know that you will have lost 175 lbs and
    that's one hell of an accomplishment! Start saving now and have a lift as a
    gift to yourself if it's needed :)
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should re-evaluate the opinions of those who have no experience? Yes, there will be some sag. I am only 34% of the way to finishing my goal, and my boobs aren't as perky, and my tummy needs tucking. But the confidence, strength, and health that I have will outdo the emotional damage of not looking like Cameron Diaz :sad: :laugh:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!