Almond or soy milk for smoothies?

Options
NoxDineen
NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
I currently use 2% milk for protein smoothies (I've read you can't really absorb most of the nutrients from skim, and my boyfriend drinks 2% anyway so didn't bother with 1%). Buuuuut, he drinks a TON of milk and I'm tired of being the only one to restock it, or coming home from a 6am run to find that he drank the last of it after I went to bed the night before.

So I'm just going to swap to almond or soy milk. I don't drink it in anything but smoothies, so I'm curious which option people suggest for taste? For health?

My typical post-workout smoothie is just 1 cup milk, 2 scoops chocolate whey, ice for milkshakey texture/temperature. I also sometimes do a pre-workout smoothie with 1 cup raspberries, 1 cup water, low fat yogurt, 1 or 2 cups chocolate whey and a splash of milk.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. :)

Replies

• msgremmy
    msgremmy Posts: 88
    Options
    You'll do fine with either. Soy milk has a richer, creamier texture (and more calories). I typically use almond milk (fewer calories), and it tastes great.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Soy is less expensive than almond. Also, soy is a common food allergy, almond is not. Soy will have more protein and some carbs. Almond is pure fat, no protein, no carbs.
  • tracivee
    tracivee Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Either one. If you put it in a smoothie, you don't really taste it anyway. Some people avoid soy due to its hormonal properties or because they're afraid of GMO (most of the soy milks I've used are labeled non-GMO so I don't really think that is a problem). I'm vegan, so I don't use cow milk at all. I buy whatever I have a coupon for or which is on sale....Silk, 8th Continent, or Almond Breeze. I don't notice a difference in any of them.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I use soy because it has more protein than almond.
  • tracivee
    tracivee Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've got soy and almond in front of me now:

Soy:
    Calories 80
    fat: 2.5g
    fiber 0
    sugars 7g
    protein 8g
    carbs 7g

Almond:
    calories 90
    fat 2.5 g (same as soy)
    fiber 1g
    sugar 15g
    protein 1g
    carbs 16g

all the other vites and minerals are comparable for the most part. It just depends on what brand you buy. The ones I compared are 8th Continent soy and Almond Breeze vanilla

Hope that helps :)
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Personally prefer Almond milk. After watching Dr Oz I added coconut milk. You can get both of them together through Blue Diamond.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Either one is fine. Both are low calorie (exact count depends on the brand and type you choose) and both are healthy. And IMO, both taste good. I've used soy for many years because I don't like the taste of milk, but I get almond occasionally just to mix things up.
  • sofia0586
    sofia0586 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i like unsweetened almond milk better.

less calories - 35-45 / cup.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks everyone.