any women using protein powder?

Options
Tenoreo90
Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
I bought some protein powder today hoping it'll help my diet deficits (Im not a big fan of meat or beans) and help curb my appetite a bit. I plan on having it in place of breakfast mixed with half a banana and almond milk. Have any of you used protein powder with a weight loss goal with success or is it a gimmick? Should I also replace lunch with a shake? Any other advice?

Replies

• afshape
    afshape Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do shakes for breakfast quite often. I don't even mix them with anything other than water. I have had good results so far....I don't think you would have to replace lunch with one, but I do sometimes if I am super busy and won't have time to eat something else.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I drink the Total Lean 25 protein powder with 8 oz of milk daily for lunch, and I love it. I eat normal, healthy foods the rest of the day. It helps me get more protein in, and it's a quick fix for lunch...very convenient. The Rich Chocolate is my fav! :)
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    What flavor do you use? I bought chocolate but I cant imagine that would taste okay with water?
  • lilmsgaga39
    Options
    I'm doing insanity again and I use strawberry protein powder with fat free milk, ice, and a tablespoon of peanut butter all blended together after my workouts. It pretty much replaces my lunch because after I drink that (along with a 22oz bottle of water!) I'm just not hungry :) works great for me
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I use Unjury whey protein. Can be ordered from their site at www.unjury.com. Favorite flavors are classic chocolate and vanilla. They also make other flavors. I do a protein shake with almond milk and fruit every morning and am very satisfied--one scoop is 20 grams of protein. They have auto ship which discounts 15%. All other carbs, sugars and everything else are next to nothing. The taste is the cleanest and best I have ever found-no aftertaste at all.
  • missmuse06
    missmuse06 Posts: 50
    Options
    I love protein powder!! I drink it on my way to the gym in the morning and then sometimes I'll have a snack mid-morning (fruit or yogurt). You can add chia seeds, flax seeds or other boosts as well!
  • lmbw126
    lmbw126 Posts: 24
    Options
    I used 2 different brands of protein powder. After workouts I use Nectar's whey protein isolate in my shakes. Typically that consists of a cup of frozen berries (fruit), lite yogurt cup (greek sometimes), 4oz of Vfusion light (any flavor), and a scoop of lemonade protein powder, sometimes I add kale or spinach. Then I make homemade protein muffins and bars. I use Jamie Eason's chocolate protein bar recipe and put it in a muffin pan. I use designer's whey protein. I also make my own peanut butter chocolate protein bars that I eat for snacks or pre-workout meal. I have been doing this for 4 weeks and I am happy with the results at this time. I am losing weight and growing muscle. My macros are set for 30% carbs, 35% protein 35% fats. Good luck to you.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I used to love yogurt until I realized it was full of sugar! LOL (Can you believe I didn't know that?) SO........... I decided to buy plain yogurt and realized it tasted like crap! :sad:

Now I drink my yogurt! I add it to a banana and then add hemp seed protein powder and then fresh or frozen fruits to make a smoothie. I have found that the protein helps balance the sweetness, plus it makes the smoothie green. Green is my favorite color and it freaks out my teenagers! :laugh:

I am 100% sold on adding hemp seeds to my diet, once I learned how nutritious and yummy they are. :bigsmile:
  • huckleberry0070
    huckleberry0070 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I drink Muscle Milk chocolate powder mixed with unsweetened almond milk (30cal per cup). I am focusing on gaining muscle since I don't have a lot of weight left to use so I don't mind that it has 150 cal per scoop, I just factor it in to my daily quota. You can also get Muscle Milk light which has 100 cal per scoop. They both taste great! I hate the taste of whey protein for some reason but this stuff works for me.
  • Candylove761
    Options
    i use protein powder . i use Herbalife formula 1 healthy meal nutritional shake mix and protein drink mix i have 1 for breakfast and 1 for lunch plus 1 fruit with each.i lost 21lb so far
  • LovelyLathrop
    Options
    I love protein powder and believe its very important in ones daily diet. Though after lots of research on all the store brand powder I was a bit turned off by it. They put so many fillers in it and it really didn't go well with my stomach. I started using this powder made by the company ViSalus and I'm addicted. It's a meal replacement so it's perfect for me when I'm on the run. It has a wonderful tri protein blend without all the ick.. It taste AMAZING... You can make a smoothie or just mix it in milk.. It's very fairly priced and ontop of that I get it for FREE :-) (anyone can!) So to say the least, I love it...
  • Lucianna_D
    Lucianna_D Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I drink Vega One for breakfast & dinner and a nice lunch.. I also drink Champion Whey Protein after every workout...
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    i used to do smoothies for breakfast
    i would buy bananas and strawberries and cut them up and separate them into ziplock baggies and freeze them, grab one out in the morning, throw it in the blender with vanilla protein powder and a splash of water.... they are really good, and filling, too filling for me actually, so i switched to granola bars...
    my husband really gets on to me about the lack of protein in my diet, i eat meat, but not a whole lot at a time, and i prefer veggies, so a lot of times i don't eat meat, or like when we have tacos i put the tiniest bit of meat on there so it can still be considered a taco, but i'm trying to do better with that
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I love my protein powder. I use it in my afternoon snack (peach/strawberry smoothie with vanilla almond milk) and my go-to morning snack is Jamie Eason's cinnamon swirl protein bread. Tastes like cake. :)http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-recipes-cinnamon-swirl-protein-bread.html I've added it to pancakes and oatmeal as well.
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Daily!! I love it...there are so many different ways to change it up too. Protein is a girls (or guys) best friend
  • katrinkap
    katrinkap Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I use the Beach Body recovery Formula after each workout. It's great! Does anyone have suggestions for flavors or brands?? ?
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    There are many protein powders that I have tried, but in my opinion, nothing comes close like the Amp Wheybolic Extreme 60 that I got from GNC. It mixes well with water and so I don't have to force myself to drink it before and after my workouts. So far vanilla is the only kind I have... and though it's fantastic, I probably wont be buying anymore anytime soon because of the price (72 bucks when it isn't on sale or marked down).

In any case, it also makes for a handy snack and can kill that sweets craving. I try to get my fill of it, considering without a protein, it's almost impossible for me to get anywhere near my daily allotment of protein. Another good one (this one coming from most of my customers) is the Eas Myos protein? I think that's what it's called.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have one every day for breakfast and on lazy days for lunch too. I use the GNC brand of Pro Performance or Optimum Nutrition (which GNC sells as well). Both have lots of different flavors and taste good in water.

I can't say it is all that has helped me but I have lost a considerable amount of weight in the last 8 months. This was only part along with extreme dedication to not cheating and exercising. It isn't a magic pill. It helps you get your protein but it won't speed up any loss.
  • BuckeyeBabe10
    BuckeyeBabe10 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Natural Whey Protein in the chocolate flavor to make smoothies after my workouts, especially when I've done strength training.

Haven't really thought of it as a "weight loss" tool, but have been looking at it as a good way to get that much needed protein to help with the muscle recovery, growth and the calorie burn right after working out.

I just throw ice cubes, 4oz. of Dannon light & fit nonfat vanilla yogurt, 1 cup of partially thawed frozen strawberries, and one rounded scoop of my whey protein together and blend it in my blender. I like using it in smoothies because I can't drink it quickly and it leaves me feeling full/satisfied. I get some great fruit and vitamins in me while getting the necessary post-workout protein in.
  • kkrondon
    kkrondon Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love protein shakes! I personally I use GNC whey protein...I recommend chocolate if u will just mix with water or if u want to make more of a Smoothie or milkshake I would use vanilla as it's the most versatile. They r great pre- or post-workout and can definitly be used for weight loss if u drink as a meal replacement. Check out the shake recipes at www.dashing dish.com, my fav is the chocolate peanut butter!