Diet Soda

Options
2»

Replies

• obrendao
    obrendao Posts: 318
    Options
    I personally stopped drinking anything with artificial sweeteners. I use Stevia in my coffee sometimes. I just think diet drinks are too addictive and personally they increase my appetite after drinking them. I think they increase gut motility and empty the stomach faster. Not totally sure abt this but I avoid them anyway. If I want something fizzy I use some seltzer water and a splash of fruit juice. For me its important to stick to natural foods and thats part of it.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I cut myself down from about a liter or more of diet soda a day to one or two cans now and then. It's more of a convenience for me now--say I'm out and about, thirsty, and well I'm not gonna pay for water, so here's a fifty-cent can of Coke Zero! :P

As far as how it affects your health, if you are still drinking plenty of water and have one or two cans a day, it shouldn't be too bad. There are some people who are affected by the artificial sweeteners, though, and I'm not sure how bad those are for you in small amounts. In excessive amounts, they can lead to cravings for sweets.
  • Sopsongbird
    Sopsongbird Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't like diet sodas. However, most have zero calories and shouldn't hurt your weight loss efforts.

Be careful with this though because the sugar, sodium, and acid will do damage long term. To help curb your appetite, try drinking a glass of water (I use crystal light!) before each meal to help "fill you" so that you don't overeat! I am on 2.5 weeks without soda of any kind and am beginning to lose weight because the water is naturally flushing it out. Instead of buying water, invest in a filtered pitcher for the fridge. After the water is filtered, add flavoring of your choosing to it! I love the Crystal Light Raspberry Ice and Pink Lemonade! Hope this helps...
  • Wezlfuss
    Wezlfuss Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    (ETA: I've heard that the aspartame in soda can slow down weight loss. Anyway:)
    Ever since I started drinking more water, I've craved soda (even diet) less and less. That, and I guess I finally just realized that it's really nothing but chemicals that you're drinking. Not so appealing when you think of it that way.

Regardless, I'll still have some about once a week or so.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    i drink so much water that sometimes i just want a drink of something alse
    i drink coke zero
    like u said great for curbing appitite

same here. I have to have a Diet Coke in the morning. I just crave it. I usually don't drink the whole can on the weekdays, but on the weekends I do. I have about 2 a day on the weekdays and the rest is water. On the weekends, Diet Coke blows water to pieces. I actually have to stop myself from drinking a Diet Coke after a work out.
  • bbbsmama
    bbbsmama Posts: 96
    Options
    I don't drink them. But as long as you stay within your calories/sugars/etc you are fine!
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Diet soda is the worst for me. Makes me belly go crazy. Can't be a good thing with all the artificial sweeteners.