Not logging when you don't eat well

Options
The point of logging your foods/drinks into your diary daily is for you to see what you are consuming a day. I see so many people logging days they think are "good days" and on days where they eat out, eat too much, or go way over calories, they do not log. Not logging doesn't mean it didn't happen. You are only harming yourself because you don't know how much you are taking in one those days.

Replies

• squirrleydoodle
    squirrleydoodle Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ^agreed!!!! i've been terrible on some days but i suck it up and log it anyways!
  • vcreinert
    vcreinert Posts: 83
    Options
    Good or bad. I log everyday. I have to keep track. You are only lying to yourself when you don't. Then the scales will tell on you and you wonder "what I do wrong?"
  • MDawg81
    MDawg81 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I admit I am bad about this at times, but today, I had McDonald's for lunch and still logged. I know I'm going to be way over for the day, but I'll log.
  • tizzie_14
    tizzie_14 Posts: 72
    Options
    I agree completely!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I personally don't understand why people choose not to log when they have a "bad" day. Every day will not be perfect. There's always going to be something that gets in the way. To me, the great thing about logging it is that I am WAY less likely to do it again the next day if the bad day is already there in my diary!
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I agree, have also been guilty of that in the past but I have been staying true to my logging "correctly" once I realized it was only harming me!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    True, but it's a personal choice to be made there. Not a steadfast rule if you're going to be a member of this site. In general, I think most people who have bad days are well aware of it and would just rather not try to do the math and figure out exactly what they ate, as that can be damn near impossible if the food/drink isn't anywhere in the database. It's too time consuming, and frankly, not that big of a deal. It's more important to acknowledge it to yourself that you screwed up and move on. No need to hang yourself publicly because you had an off day. We all make mistakes, it's in learning from them (not shaming ourselves for them) that we grow and make better choices. Just my two cents... :flowerforyou:
  • souperficial
    souperficial Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of this from time to time, but I've definitely gotten better about it lately.
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I log even when I'm terrible. (see last nights dinner.. Saturday's dinner and sundays dinner...hm.. seeing a pattern here).

I hate it. But it reminds me why I should avoid those foods (Unless you look and see i ate way too many chips and salsa saturday, then did the same damn thing sunday).

When I miss a day, its cause I just forget to log. Those are usually bad days too.

Fortunately I don't have too low of a calorie goal, and am not looking to lose drastic amounts of weight anymore.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Good or bad. I log everyday. I have to keep track. You are only lying to yourself when you don't. Then the scales will tell on you and you wonder "what I do wrong?"

Exactly...then they become frustrated and I feel many people give up. If you have 3000 calories from fast food one day, log it. If you don't want people's opinion on your food choices, then keep your diary private. I just feel bad when I see people not logging everything and getting frustrated.
  • Giniac
    Giniac Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree. If you do go over there'll be people on your friends list that will support you and get you back on track tomorrow.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You have a point. I always start out logging but sometimes when I slip, logging just seems like I'm punishing myself. I'm trying to eat better and live healthier but I'm definately not into the being good or bad thing. If I slip, I may be hindering my weight loss but I don't think it is anyone's concern but my own.
    Logging "bad" days are good in that they will help you see patterns in your eating and help you pinpoint why you slipped. I'm stil on the fence but I definately am into "taking the guilt" out of eating. Overeating is just that..overeating. It doesn't have a good or bad to it!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    i log every day, and if i know i am going to be tempted to eat something extra, i log it ahead of time and seeing the numbers either tells me, oh no, don't add on dessert or go for the extra taco when ur not really hungry it just tastes soo good, or sometimes i'm low and i can say, okay, a little something extra is okay today
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If they're not logging it how do you know it's because they ate crap that day? Instead of just being somewhere without internet access and choosing to enjoy life instead of slaving to a machine to log the food for a day?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    True, but it's a personal choice to be made there. Not a steadfast rule if you're going to be a member of this site. In general, I think most people who have bad days are well aware of it and would just rather not try to do the math and figure out exactly what they ate, as that can be damn near impossible if the food/drink isn't anywhere in the database. It's too time consuming, and frankly, not that big of a deal. It's more important to acknowledge it to yourself that you screwed up and move on. No need to hang yourself publicly because you had an off day. We all make mistakes, it's in learning from them (not shaming ourselves for them) that we grow and make better choices. Just my two cents... :flowerforyou:

Yes.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I feel it is important to log the good days and bad days
    this gives the "big" picture.
    The only time I do not log is when I do not have access to a computer.
    Then when I can I back fill the information
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I log even when I eat 3000+ calories (it has happened with eating out every meal that day)

but there has been a couple days here recently, I didn't track any food, simply b/c by the time I got home from work, I was to tired (just getting back to working after being a house wife for years *13 years* (we need the money and I need something to spend my time doing other than eating ..lol)
  • xxnellie146xx
    Options

I understand that and I agree with you, it is a personal choice.
  • Buttonpie
    Buttonpie Posts: 7
    Options
    i hate seeing the daily calories go in the red, but thats when i realize i need to work out more. I still log it, even thought it may not make me happy. I am only cheating myself by not logging, noone else cares if i go in the red, or if i dont exercise enough. Its like doing a half assed workout and logging it as going full force- you are only cheating yourself!
  • xxnellie146xx
    Options
    If they're not logging it how do you know it's because they ate crap that day? Instead of just being somewhere without internet access and choosing to enjoy life instead of slaving to a machine to log the food for a day?

They post something like "Going out today...know I will be over so I am not logging" or "OMG I ate the crap today so I am not logging" (you get the idea).