Bigger Measurements Than @ Starting... Am I Alone?

Options
About a month after I started using MFP, I decided that I should take basic measurements so that I would have something other than the scale to go off of as far as progress. Eight weeks later, I took the measurements again... here's where the odd part comes in to the picture. Although my clothes are fitting much looser than before, I have actually GAINED inches. I have gained more than an inch around my waist and about 3/4 of an inch in my hips. It seems ridiculous, and impossible, I am aware, but on all measurements I have measured 3 times before recording the number. What gives? I know that the scale can lie at times, but how can a measuring tape lie to me?

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or if I really am the freak of nature that I seem to think I am.

For the record, I do work out regularly (kickboxing 7-9 times/week, cycling, walking/jogging), and I feel as good as I can carrying around a lot of extra weight, but I can't quite figure this all out.

Replies

• doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Could it be that you just happened to measure the second time on a day that you were bloating? That happens to me sometimes. I just wait a few days and try again.
  • obolton756
    obolton756 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    perhaps you were pulling the tape tighter on the first measurement? i know it sounds silly.. but could happen!
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    Building up muscle? Water weight? Bloating? Swelling from the heat? I'd take them again during a cooler part of the day or right when you wake up.
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You can get bigger if your building muscle. Have you been taking pics? Do you LOOK like you are getting bigger? Does the scale say you are getting bigger?

I've been leaning out the past couple of months, but have gained inches and no weight change. Overall I can SEE it in the photos, I am smaller. It is very weird indeed! I've decided to do a nutrition check, b/c my overall goal is to DROP weight. I've also changed my fitness routine.

Please don't let a few inches gained get you down! Keep tweeking and find out what works for you. :-)

Sara