What to do with freash Okra? Ideas Plz

Options
2»

Replies

• joslin2005
    joslin2005 Posts: 138
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Lots of great suggestions! I am going to have to buy some more okra just to try out the new ideas and recipes. :-)
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this because I'm looking for okra ideas. Any others besides the ones mentioned?
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I say go for the tomato, corn, okra combo. Add some bacon for flavor
  • RavishingRubbies
    Options
    I don't have any recipes on okra.But i do suggest slicing them and putting them in a fresh pot of homemade vegetable soup.I have had it that way and it is delicious.And the okra won't be sliming you can also add small pasta or barley to it to help fill you more,to add fiber.I hope this helps.:happy:
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I like them dehydrated with a little sea salt. Okra chips rock!
    Do you make these yourself? I can't lie... I've always HATED okra because of the slime. But I was in Charleston recently and bought a bag of dried okra. They were fantastic. If I knew how to make them myself, I would definitely eat them often!
  • BSummers321
    BSummers321 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Okra Curry is not only the bees knees, but head and toes too. Love the stuff.

This Okra curry looks good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA7gIC6P0GA

You can make okra and lamb, okra and potato or okra and chicken curry too and I bet it would be great in mixed veg curry!
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    bump

wanna come back to see recipe ideas
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I steam them for 4 minutes make sure the water doesn't touch it or it will get too slimey
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you have a lot you can also pickle them. i got some pickled okra from a indian store once and it was so good. there was ginger, cumin, coriander and some hot chilies in there too. SO GOOD!

and yes to the okra curry. you can also bake with chicken thighs, red peppers, zucchini and serve over jasmine rice.

for the record i love okra but hate fried okra. it just kills the okra taste imo
  • krystleeanne
    krystleeanne Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump 'cause I love okra
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. Went with making a chicken and okra curry.

IMG_9868.jpg