Low carb and PCOS

Options
I have had PCOS since I was 16 but now that I am in my 30's, the symptoms are much more prevelant. I saw my doctor today and she said that the only way for someone with PCOS to really reduce their symptoms and their weight is a low-carb diet. MFP has me at 1390 calories a day. Based on that, how many grams of carbs should I eat a day?

Replies

• mnomics
    mnomics Posts: 35
    Options
    i also have PCOS with insulin resistance, your doctor is right only low carb will work.

the default setting on MFP for carbs is 55%, i have mine set to 35% which gives me 30 - 40 grams for every meal.

the most weight loss i had on any diet is Atkins but i cant do it for more then a month because it is extremely hard for me to restrict myself to 20 grams of daily carbs.
  • maryannmiclat
    maryannmiclat Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. I toyed with the vegan lifestyle for a while and had great results. My cysts shrank big time and pretty much all my symptoms slowed down. My doctor was amazed. I am now just counting calories and exercising and eating animal products again minus dairy. I've noticed that if I eat grass fed beef, hormone free chicken and eggs I don't have problems. I would give that a try. :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    20 to 50 grams a day would be really good for you. i do 20 grams a day, feel free to add me!
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Same boat ;)!

I do 20 carbs a day (had to lower them because I still didnt lose any weight) I have gone up to 32 carbs the other day and was fine and still in Ketosis :)! I eat alot of meat, eggs, cheese, and such. Aside from my coffee in the morning (3 carbs) all my carbs come from Veggies :D