My husband smoking = my loss of Will Power

Options
20 years married. We have quit time and time again. Problem for me is staying quit. I don't even think about them if he isn't smoking. But when he starts cheating then eventually starts leaving them out? I lose all will power. This is probably because we are more than just married, were best friends. I AM NOT BLAMING THIS ON HIM. THIS IS MY PROBLEM!! Just looking for advice.
Suggestions?

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    20 years married. We have quit time and time again. Problem for me is staying quit. I don't even think about them if he isn't smoking. But when he starts cheating then eventually starts leaving them out? I lose all will power. This is probably because we are more than just married, were best friends. I AM NOT BLAMING THIS ON HIM. THIS IS MY PROBLEM!! Just looking for advice.
    Suggestions?

Allan Carr's 'Easy Way' worked for me ... It didn't preach, deprogrammed me after 20 years of puffing away and I have not looked back ... I swear I can't tell you when I quit, it's another world away.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Easy way to stop smoking by Allen Carr. my quit date was June 16th 2008. best fifteen bucks i ever spent.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this (only because I know it's hard and sounds easy)....but you said yourself it's YOUR problem. Man up and just do it. Maybe once you've quit (for hopefully the last time), he'll want to do the same. On the other hand, you could also persuade him into a reward system. If you do it together, reward yourselves such as a nice romantic dinner out or whatever the heck he wants in bed (if you're up for that sorta thing or just brave haha...he'd probably go for it though!) Just saying....
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Suggestions?

Allan Carr's 'Easy Way' worked for me ... It didn't preach, deprogrammed me after 20 years of puffing away and I have not looked back ... I swear I can't tell you when I quit, it's another world away.
    Thank you so much!!! Ok gang!! Gonna give this a try!!!
  • chattipatty2
    Options
    Easy way to stop smoking by Allen Carr. my quit date was June 16th 2008. best fifteen bucks i ever spent.
    Thank you!!! Going to take this advice!!!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Can he switch to cigars? When me and my hubby quit, he switched to the little cigars. Those didn't tempt me AT ALL.

Good luck!!!! It's hard but worth it. I quit in 2003. I used the nicotine gum to keep my mouth busy.
  • jbloomfj
    jbloomfj Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    after 40years of smoking I quit 4 years ago. I treid every method going but had good sucess with the laser therapy. My son quit last year with the same treatment. It's $300 bucks, a months worth of smokes, but it was the best money i spent.
  • chattipatty2
    Options
    Can he switch to cigars? When me and my hubby quit, he switched to the little cigars. Those didn't tempt me AT ALL.

Good luck!!!! It's hard but worth it. I quit in 2003. I used the nicotine gum to keep my mouth busy.
    If that book that was recommended doesn't do it for HIM, I will recommend cigars or a different cigarette. So far he;s been reading the book mentioned earlier in this post!!! Can't believe it. He's never seeked help before!!!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You are blaming your husband, even if you say you aren't. I know it's hard when he's failing, but you're going to be the one to make the trail.