Spaghetti Squash

Options
What is the best way to make spaghetti squash? Is it difficult?

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Stab it five to six times with a sharp knife. (this is a very important step. . .it will explode in the microwave otherwise)

Place on paper towels or a microwave safe plate and microwave for ten-twelve minutes (turning it a few times).

Give it about five minutes, cut it open, scoop out and discard the seeds and scrape the rest out with a fork.

Tah-dah!:flowerforyou:
  • Slender1
    Options
    Stab it five to six times with a sharp knife. (this is a very important step. . .it will explode in the microwave otherwise)

Place on paper towels or a microwave safe plate and microwave for ten-twelve minutes (turning it a few times).

Give it about five minutes, cut it open, scoop out and discard the seeds and scrape the rest out with a fork.

Then do you boil it to cook or? Or is it good to go right then?
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    I usually bake mine in the oven. I cut it in half, put it cut side down in a baking dish with about an inch of water... bake until tender. Shred the inside with a fork and it is good to go
  • beauchemin
    Options
    cut it in half and boil it ..... when it is done you can scrap out the squash and use it as a spagatti sub..... put sauses, etc over it.
  • Slender1
    Options
    I usually bake mine in the oven. I cut it in half, put it cut side down in a baking dish with about an inch of water... bake until tender. Shred the inside with a fork and it is good to go

How long is "until tender"? 5 min? 10 min? 20? I'm better with numbers than estimates. :) lol
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    At the grocery story I go to, there is a sticker on the squash that tells how long and what temp to cook it at. I cut the squash in half, put some olive oil and pepper on it. Cook it as recommended upside down. Then I put spaghetti sauce mixes with ground turkey in it, sprinkle low fat cheese, and cook it for another 5 min. When you eat it mix it all together with a fork.

Sometimes I wrap it and take it to work for lunch.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

I cut mine in half also and put in oven on a cookie sheet cut side down. I brush olive oil around the edges and the inside of it and bake it until the shell on the outside is soft. (usually around 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven).
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

Then do you boil it to cook or? Or is it good to go right then?

Good to go. Olive oil, garlic and parmesan or normal spagh. sauce. Nummy.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy, I need to try this!
  • Michelle09
    Michelle09 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ITALIAN SPAGHETTI SQUASH

1 spaghetti squash, about 1 1/2 lbs.
    1 med. green pepper, chopped
    1 med. onion, chopped
    1 tsp. basil leaves, crushed
    1 tsp. oregano leaves, crushed
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. each of marjoram, thyme, and sage
    2 tbsp. Italian olive oil
    5 to 6 med. tomatoes, chopped
    2 tbsp. butter
    1/4 c. Parmesan cheese

Wash squash, prick with fork. Cook in 400 degree oven until tender, about 40 minutes. Cook and stir green pepper and onion with seasoning in oil over medium heat until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomatoes. Simmer uncovered 5 minutes. Cut squash into halves, remove seeds and fibrous strings. Remove spaghetti-like squash strands with two forks. Toss with butter and cheese. Spoon tomato mixture over squash.