Sugar

Options
It's everywhere......now that I am reading labels, oh my gosh even on my 100% pure Aloe Drink, they added 25% Cane Juice. I just bought a whole case of it thinking it is all Natural.

Replies

• workoutgirl23
    Options
    Yea. sugar is pretty much every where. lol. but in fruits and stuff, the sugar is natural. Sugar is fine. Its all about moderation. a person can't really avoid eating sugar, its in every thing pretty much.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    from my understanding..cane sugar is better then real sugar? I could be wrong and I'm hoping someone does correct me. Just stay away from those high fructose corn sugar.

But i agree...once I started looking at labels..wow...especially the salt in everything!

Good Luck!
    Sheila
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    cane juice is natural...but it's still added sugar so I understand your frustration. It's all a learning experience.
  • itsafrappe
    itsafrappe Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    from my understanding..cane sugar is better then real sugar? I could be wrong and I'm hoping someone does correct me. Just stay away from those high fructose corn sugar.

But i agree...once I started looking at labels..wow...especially the salt in everything!

Good Luck!
    Sheila

real sugar is cane sugar just btw. the body procsses all sugars the same way. but natural sugars found in fruit are not the enemy.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I think it's the general consensus that high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is worse for you than table sugar. Lots of processed foods have HFCS, it's even in lunch meats and honey. Food companies use HFCS because its cheap, due to govenment subsidies to corn growers. Sugar is more costly due to tariffs and sugar quotas imposed a few decades ago. In European countries, HFCS isn't widely used in processed foods, but table sugar is. It has mostly to do with how governments control the markets.

It has been said that HFCS increases appetite more than table sugar, and in a study done on mice, a diet with HFCS increased belly fat more than an equal calorie amount of table sugar. HFCS causes a zinc loss and a copper gain, impairing a metabolic process required to eliminate heavy metals. The increased levels of mercury in HFCS are also a concern.

All this is still hotly debated, but as for me, I try to avoid HFCS and refined sugar completely - but nobody's perfect:blushing:
    I like to just eat things my great grandmother would have recognized.
  • mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for helping me understand things, very informative