Healthy food options for a road trip/vacation?

Options
Hey everyone!

So after many many years, I'm heading out on a road trip this Friday to New Brunswick and I'm super excited! My question to you all is: what do you take with you on the road? I've got some granola bars, some fruits and water, but I can't think of anything else. I'm trying to avoid food that needs to be chilled because we may or may not have a cooler.

How do you manage to stay on track on vacation? Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Replies

• SundayPajamas
    SundayPajamas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh...forgot to mention, it's about a 16 hour trip
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I am curious too...we are headed to the beach next week and I do not want to mess up!
  • SuziQueue
    SuziQueue Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Instead of stopping at fast food joints for snacks along the way, stop at grocery stores for healthy options. Have fun!
  • lassisar
    lassisar Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm heading out too on Friday for a 12 hour road trip. I am bringing a cooler. I have carrot chips, sugar snap peas and dip (single serve light ranch) for the cooler. I bought lunch sized baked chips for munchies. Lots of water, of course. Protein bars, stuff for the kids that doesn't even tempt me, like pop tarts. But I did get the new 100 calorie pack pop tart bites just in case I need something sweet.

I like the idea of stopping at grocery stores rather than fast food. Many of them have gas too. I'm going to try that. Hopefully, we'll all do the best we can on the road! Happy travels, everyone!
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Bring a cooler (or a lunchbox with some ice packs in it) and put in some healthy snacks: pieces of fruit, almonds, cashews, peanuts, walnuts, cheesesticks, whole-wheat crackers with peanut butter/cream cheese, celery sticks with peanut butter, baby carrots or carrot sticks (ranch if you want), pudding cups, yogurt cups, small sandwiches, granola/fiber/protein bars, jerky, hardboiled eggs, and on and on! :smokin:

Also, you could try stopping at fast food places with healthier options (like Subway for a salad/low-cal sandwich, or a Chipotle/Baja Fresh) or grabbing something from a grocery store or deli.

Have a good trip!