Recovery after exercise at night

Options
Hi everyone! I'm taking a new kickboxing class at night (7-8 pm) twice a week, but on a "normal" day I would work out right after work for an hour, then eat dinner as recovery. I try not to ever eat after 7 pm, but I worry I won't recover properly if I don't take in some calories/protein after the class... even though I'm not really hungry then due to an earlier light dinner. Anybody have a similar situation or advice on what to eat (if anything) after the class?

Thanks!
Kristen

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    There is no reason why you have to stop eating at any given time - just experiment with different foods/meals/timings to see what makes you feel good and lets you get in a healthy amount of calories each day.

There is no right or wrong here, only what works best for you.
  • velsbree
    velsbree Posts: 69
    Options
    I take later classes and eat at about 830, usually an eggbeater omlete stuffed with veggies it is a light meal but filling
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Why don't you want to eat after 7:00?

As long as you're gettIng sufficient calories during the day I don't think it's necessary to eat immediately after your class. There isn't necessarily a reason not to eat after your class either. I wouldn't eat if I wasn't hungry and still felt good. If you're hungry or feel drained, eat something. Unless eating late gives you sleep or digestion problems there isn't a reason to not eat before you go to bed.

If you're hungry, eat somethin. If you get tired, pull over.
  • keconrad6485
    keconrad6485 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Maybe I'll try breaking dinner into two really light meals so I can still eat after work when I'm really hungry :-)
  • keconrad6485
    Options
    Why don't you want to eat after 7:00?

As long as you're gettIng sufficient calories during the day I don't think it's necessary to eat immediately after your class. There isn't necessarily a reason not to eat after your class either. I wouldn't eat if I wasn't hungry and still felt good. If you're hungry or feel drained, eat something. Unless eating late gives you sleep or digestion problems there isn't a reason to not eat before you go to bed.

If you're hungry, eat somethin. If you get tired, pull over.

It's a habit I've worked hard to get into because in my college days eating at night led to bad food choices ("oh, I'll just work it off tomorrow"...) I probably have enough discipline to make the right choices now, but I've noticed the habit has really helped to boost my metabolism.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I used to have the "no eating after 8 p.m." rule, too. But based on what I've heard/read about recovery, I decided to forego that when I workout, even late. I will usually have a protein shake, so it's just enough to satisfy me, but not lead to an eating fest. :happy:
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I never get to eat dinner before 7:30 -8:30. I work 9-6 and come home and try and do a 2nd work-out at night- my husband fixes dinner while I get the 2nd work-out in. I have been able to maintain losing with no problems.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    If you truly aren't hungry afterwards, you could do a protein shake or even just a big glass of milk. If you are hungry, eat whatever you want (within reason, haha). I eat right up until bedtime and it hasn't stopped me from losing any weight!
  • keconrad6485
    Options
    Great, thanks everyone!
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I used to not eat after 8, but if I work out at 7 by the time I am done I am starving. I eat dinner earlier so the food settles before I go. After the workout I eat some protien so a hard boiled egg and a cheese stick or a piece of chicken.
  • keconrad6485
    Options
    I used to not eat after 8, but if I work out at 7 by the time I am done I am starving. I eat dinner earlier so the food settles before I go. After the workout I eat some protien so a hard boiled egg and a cheese stick or a piece of chicken.

Perfect, I think that's the strategy I'm going to take.
  • mrsRhughes
    mrsRhughes Posts: 122
    Options
    I have heard (and recommend from experience!!) that it is not about WHEN you do things (eat, exercise, etc.) but your CONSISTENCY. So it is best to workout at the same time each day ... eat meals at the same time each day ... this has worked for me since I've adapted this mentality!!
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I typically workout late at night (11pm - midnight) and I just drink a protein shake on the way home.
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The "window" to get protein after a work out doesn't just close right away. As long as you get adequate sleep and sufficient calories through out the day, you'll be fine. At the longest, just don't go like 24 hours after a workout without eating. You can work out late at night and not eat again until breakfast the next day.
  • Wenzday7777
    Options
    i usually do the egg whites a bit of cheese and a slice of turkey bacon or two filling and protein full! Easy to digest :)
  • keconrad6485
    Options
    The "window" to get protein after a work out doesn't just close right away. As long as you get adequate sleep and sufficient calories through out the day, you'll be fine. At the longest, just don't go like 24 hours after a workout without eating. You can work out late at night and not eat again until breakfast the next day.

Good to know - I've heard very often that you should get in protein within 30 minutes of your workout.
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    as stated above
    it is not about WHEN you do things (eat, exercise, etc.) but your CONSISTENCY.

Everything doesn't have to be done at the same times each day but you do need to be consistant with your workouts and your daily macro/micro nutrient intake.