how much water is to much?

Options
water much water is to much water to be drinking?
On my bad days I drink atleast two gallons a day... on good days I drink more than that. I drink water all the time except maybe once or twice a month sweet tea or a cranberry juice.

Replies

• HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting sufficient nutrients from your food (including some sodium and potassium), you should be fine. I drink at least a gallon of water a day, more now that it's getting ridiculously hot. :mad: I've heard of people dying from drinking too much water, but it was something ridiculous like three or four gallons in an hour as part of a radio challenge. :laugh:
  • coltonsmommy2010
    Options
    Well my dr tokd me to drink more water to lose weight but I been drinking water like this for about 5 years now and ain't lost weight. By hust drinking water so I was just wondering if by drinking it so much if I could retain it. I know the body is mostly water but I also know sometimes people retain water weightn
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Dunno??? My son drinks almost a gallon a day...I usually have 5-6 bottles (16oz size).
    Heyyyyy....I'm a mommy to a Colton too!
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    An athlete or body builder with a high calorie diet might not drink that much water on a training day. Your body must digest water just like food. You can only digest 8 oz of water ever 20 minutes. Most of that water is going to your bladder and not affecting your metabolism. I think it's great that you have the discipline to follow through. But in fitness and nutrition, it is true that you can have "too much" of a good thing. I wouldn't recommend anything over a gallon a day for a non-athlete.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    No wonder why I'm not usually very hungry...its all the darn water! LOL I truly feel like such a pig lately trying to cram in my 1200.
  • TheMalignantNinja
    Options
    two gallons aint much....to an athelete like me
  • _Punjab
    _Punjab Posts: 67
    Options
    It always shocks me how people struggle to get in 8 glasses a day. If you ask me, water is the easiest part of living a healthy life style. I never drink fewer than 100 fl oz a day.
    The recommended water intake is between 64 and 128 fl oz a day. That'd be between 1/2 and 1 gallon. If you're doing too much more than that, you may be doing more harm than good. You'll be losing electrolytes and it puts more strain on your heart and kidneys.
    I see a nutritionist to help with the weight loss process, and they advise me that as part of my 128 fl oz daily goal, I should make 16-32 of those ounces an electrolyte drink. Try Powerade Zero products because it doesn't have any calories or carbs like many other sports drinks do.
  • Want2BHealthyy
    Options
    drinking water is good, your skin will be glowing :-)
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    It always shocks me how people struggle to get in 8 glasses a day. If you ask me, water is the easiest part of living a healthy life style. I never drink fewer than 100 fl oz a day.
    The recommended water intake is between 64 and 128 fl oz a day. That'd be between 1/2 and 1 gallon. If you're doing too much more than that, you may be doing more harm than good. You'll be losing electrolytes and it puts more strain on your heart and kidneys.
    I see a nutritionist to help with the weight loss process, and they advise me that as part of my 128 fl oz daily goal, I should make 16-32 of those ounces an electrolyte drink. Try Powerade Zero products because it doesn't have any calories or carbs like many other sports drinks do.

I agree with this. It probably isn't necessary to have a brand name electrolyte replacement drink, although insuring the electrolytes in your blood don't run too low is very important (especially sodium, as far as I know. This is called "hyponatremia," and in severe cases is what leads to these "water drunkness" deaths. Look up "hyponatremia" and see if you may have the milder symptoms). Because I'm exercising and sweating a lot, and taking in extra water when I do (I usually hit 14-16 cups, on an intense day. 8-10 on a down day), my doctor recommended the juice of two lemons for every 2 litres of water (provides potassium), and a few dashes of salt (not enough to even taste it in the water, really).

I see some people on my friends list who are convinced that you have to drink a whole lot more water, the heavier you are. Maybe a bit more is okay, but ask yourself how natural it would be for pre-civilization homo sapiens to cram down something like 5-6 litres of water in a day (as I have seen some people log, without heavy strength workouts or anything to justify that much water). Even on my most sweat-drenched day, I can't force myself to drink more than that 14-16 cups. It's just not instinctive to drink that much of the stuff, and I don't see these types of people dropping the pounds any faster than people with more reasonable habits. So when it comes to water, I suggest learning to recognize your body's signs of thirst, and respond accordingly. If you ARE going to drink in excess of 2-3 litres, at least throw some electrolytes back into the excess water. If I recall, there's a "flavoured water" post on the forums, that should provide some low-cal recipes that could work for this purpose.