Weight Watchers

Anyone here doing the PointsPlus program? I've been reading a lot of negative things about it, how people aren't losing on it, and reverting back to the old Weight Watchers program....just wanted to get peoples opinions who are trying it.

Replies

• mcaffreyg
    mcaffreyg Posts: 69 Member
    My parents put me in weight watchers when I was 11... To me even now at 20 seems ****ed up. I was maybe 20ish pounds more then my class mates, and from around that point on I gained so much weight I was just angry I guess. I remember my mother would cry if I didn't loose weight at the weekly weigh ins. So.... My view is probably messed up but I don't like WW at all. and I remember when I did it they had weekly bonus points, which is sort of similar to what they are doing now.

I do know some friends who have done it now (at an appropriate age) and had success with it (they let you eat an unlimited amount of veggies now without counting those points, but do count the fruits!).

I have looked back into doing WW again but there is a lot of pain in those memories :( so I decided against it. But I did do research on it and I didn't like there new thing cause it gets you use to bingeing large amounts of food once a week. and confuses your body...

The original WW plan with eating as many veggies as you want is what I have heard the best stuff about
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    I know a few people doing it. What turns me away apart from the cost I don't feel is worth it, is that many of them are only at 900 calories. They are being sold on artificial sweeteners which go against everything I believe personally. And they are not losing weight. Points or not.
  • mesee619
    mesee619 Posts: 84 Member
    I was a faithful member before points plus--not to down them, but the problem is the free fruits for me. I started gaining weight unstead of losing. Fruit cant be free for me--so I just go now to weigh in every week--not following the program.
  • jana372
    jana372 Posts: 3 Member
    I am currently doing WW in conjunction with MFP. The daily points I use on WW end up being very close to my total daily calories on MFP. I have been losing an average of 1.9 pounds per week since I started but that could also be due to the fact that I have a lot to lose.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    It's a great program and is not expensive at all. It can be pretty high calorie now, with the new plan. Most people are eating 1800ish per day under Points Plus. I lose at a snail's pace at that rate because my TDEE is only 1900-2000. But you just need to bump down your calories (or your fruit intake) if that's the case for you.

It beats the hell out of MFP just due to the education component. Here there is so much misinformation, you can practically get stupider each hour you read.
  • hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    I am currently doing WW in conjunction with MFP. The daily points I use on WW end up being very close to my total daily calories on MFP. I have been losing an average of 1.9 pounds per week since I started but that could also be due to the fact that I have a lot to lose.

Same! except losing 1.9 lbs a week! When I am 100% following "the plan" I lose.
  • I've been a member off and on. I quit because I couldn't be dedicated to a program that wasn't dedicated to me. They changed the program so much over the years it was hard to stay focus. I just broke up with them a couple months ago and gave my time to MFP. THEN I started loosing weight again.

My issues...they don't take into account nutrition. A healthy lifestyle should be more than just calories, fat, fiber, and protein. What about sodium and sugar? Those two can kill you. Why not count the fruits and veggies? Too much of nothing. When you have an issue with WHAT EVER PROGRAM THEY DECIDE TO THROW AT YOU, you will be told that you can follow an older program if you're more comfortable. However, if you have questions or concerns the team leader acts as if he/ she doesn't know what you're talking about. I weigh in for free at home and to grown for a freaking Bravo sticker.

Years ago I lost over 50 pounds with WW. I have not been successful since then. It works for some people but I'd rather stick with MFP. It's working! :D
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    The free fruit and veggies were also my downfall. You can gain weight on too much of a good thing.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Thanks guys! Maybe I will just stick with MFP. I've been a member for over a year now and have lost 41 pds between this and working out. Just for the summer, I froze my account with Snap Fitness, and will be returning to the gym in September. I had a Blackberry phone before and had the MFP app for it, which is nothing compared to what my android phone has now for it. Has a barcode scanner and everything!

So ya, I'll just stick to MFP and just eat my 1530 cals a day, and NOT eat my exercise calories.....