have you done a Warrior Dash?

Jessicaruby
Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
have you completed the Warrior Dash? if so how was it and did you train before you ran the race? what did you do to train?

Replies

• Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    my neighbor just did and she is fairly in shape - can run 3-5 miles ... she said the best advice to give is t0 start out in front! It's really hard to wait for everyone to get through everything if you aren't in front first.

(edited for horrific grammar)
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    bump
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    My dad just did it last month. At nearly 55 years old, he was terrified. He's a longtime runner so had that in the bag, but visited a personal trainer who gave him balance exercises that were really difficult for him. Going up to the start line, he was really nervous about it, especially because he was supposed to run it with his niece (my cousin) but she ended up in the ER the night before and he ran it with her friend. But when we saw him come up to the end, he sprinted up to those fire jumps and went through the mud pit like it was nothing! At the end, he had a huge smile on his face and kept saying that it was much easier than he expected! He's even planning to run it again next month at home in Colorado.

One huge tip he gave me: WEAR GLOVES! He wore a pair of full-finger mountain biking gloves to protect from splinters on the obstacles and said they were a really great idea.

But overall, make sure you can run for a mile or two (you get breaks because it bottlenecks at the obstacles unless you're at the front and early in the day), work on your balance (also for the obstacles), and just have fun! Everyone tells me it's easier than it looks (I was supposed to do it this year but my dad took the last slot, haha).
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    My dad just did it last month. At nearly 55 years old, he was terrified. He's a longtime runner so had that in the bag, but visited a personal trainer who gave him balance exercises that were really difficult for him. Going up to the start line, he was really nervous about it, especially because he was supposed to run it with his niece (my cousin) but she ended up in the ER the night before and he ran it with her friend. But when we saw him come up to the end, he sprinted up to those fire jumps and went through the mud pit like it was nothing! At the end, he had a huge smile on his face and kept saying that it was much easier than he expected! He's even planning to run it again next month at home in Colorado.

One huge tip he gave me: WEAR GLOVES! He wore a pair of full-finger mountain biking gloves to protect from splinters on the obstacles and said they were a really great idea.

But overall, make sure you can run for a mile or two (you get breaks because it bottlenecks at the obstacles unless you're at the front and early in the day), work on your balance (also for the obstacles), and just have fun! Everyone tells me it's easier than it looks (I was supposed to do it this year but my dad took the last slot, haha).

Your dad sounds awesome! Cherish him!
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    One of my close friends just ran it. She's not the fittest person in the world, but she has determination. Her telling me about it is one of the things that inspired me to get in shape because I'm not ready for the Warrior Dash, but I will be.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    bumpity bump
  • carlyhawks05
    carlyhawks05 Posts: 20 Member
    I "ran" it with my husband last year in Indiana. I could not even run a full mile at the time and did ok. This year I have been running every other day (most weeks) over a mile just to keep up with it. I have also lost 25 lbs. since last year's Dash, which I am hoping willl help too. It is a really fun race and everyone just has a good time with it. You get some serious runners, but everyone running is very encouraging and helpful if you need assistance with an obsactle. Hope you get to try it sometime!
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Warrior Dash is literally a fun run, if you can run a mile...you'll have no problems at all. Tough Mudder, now that takes some training for.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    I am volunteering at the Mud run that is going to be happening pretty soon here in my area so that I have a better idea of what I need to get better at for the race. They look like sooo much fun. It is one of my big goals for next year, to run in a couple of them.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i've done three mud runs. the toughest was the spartan race i did, which was on a ski slope, so a good part of it was uphill.

for training you need to run and do upper body strength training. a lot of these websites have a mailing list and would send you daily work out.
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    I did the Tough Mudder a couple of weeks before the Warrior Dash so the dash was easy but as long as you can run 4-5 miles you can get through the Warrior Dash. The obstacles are fairly easy and there's a lot of help from everyone else if really need it. Good luck!
  • twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    I just ran a Warrior Dash with my husband this spring and had a great time. Neither one of us specifically trained for it--my weekly workout consists of a fitness boot camp class three times a week and soccer once a week. We jogged the entire race, and with a leg up on some of the higher obstacles, I got through everything just fine. If you wanted to train up a bit, I'd recommend focusing on endurance for the run and upper body strength for the climbing obstacles.

This is a race that gets a wide range of fitness levels participating, and is really set up as a fun run, as another commenter mentioned. Anyone considering a mud run should sign up for this one--one way or another, you will be able to finish. And even if it turns out to be more of a challenge than you expected, it'll be great motivation to get in better shape for the next year. Good luck, and have fun!