Can we ever stop dieting?

Options
I started dieting in February two years ago and I lost 50 lbs over a year and a half. I am SO proud of what I've done. BUT today I realized, that I have yoyo-ed up and down about 4 lbs since this exact date of last year.

I weigh exactly the same as a I did on July 11th of last year and I am beyond discouraged.... I think the worst part is that in my head, I've been trying to lose weight for this entire year. Constantly fighting cravings, working out 4-5 days a week. All of this just to maintain.

I'm exactly 8 lbs away from my original goal weight and I've spend these last 2 and 1/2 years praying for maintenance time to come, because that would be so much easier. Well, today I realized that I just maintained for one year, and it was hard, really hard, and I'm a little pissed off that I spent a year logging my food, busting my *kitten* in the gym, and weighing myself every week just to maintain.

This is obviously a RANT, but I'm hoping someone can relate. I know it's a 'life style change' so I don't want to hear that mumbo jumbo. I eat very healthy, 95% vegan, work out a ton and I know I will have to continue this behavior to be healthy the rest of my life.

I guess what I've realized is that this is a life-time battle, there will be no automatic switch once I reach my goal weight, I am (and maybe always will be) addicted to food and in my mind, a little fat girl that thinks its not fair that I can't eat whatever I want!!!!

The End :0)

Replies

• sicembears
    sicembears Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sammie,

Well done on the 50 pounds!

I've been off MFP for about a year now after losing 17 pounds (lost my determination and motivation during a recurrence of chronic illness) and have just recently started back on my original plan. The first thing I noticed after logging on was your picture and how much you've changed in appearance! It was a wonderful encouragement to me, as I was reminded that despite my weaknesses in getting healthy, it can be done. So, thanks for that.

Do you think a little variety in your diet/exercise might help? I get bored easily and have to change things up often to prevent the mundane.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    People DIET because they haven't been able to find a lifestyle that keeps/gets them in the physical body they want. I've only purposely dieted to reduce body fat and look more muscular, but haven't had to diet because I was overweight since I've known for years how to eat within caloric limits.
    So yes it can be done, but people need to find out a good sustainable lifestyle to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress, but it sounds like you need to take another look at your lifestyle, diet and exercise routine and modify it so it is easy to maintain. Eat more chicken than beef, more veggies etc. If your full from an extra cup of broccoli at dinner your less likely to snack after etc... You must have learned yourself somewhat well to lose 50 and keep it off for a year, but keep trying to make choices until weight loss is easy, so when your at your goal maintenance is easier!
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    From what I've read and learned...You may need to up your calories to beat any plateau. Look at the Eat More to Lose more group on here. Just a suggestion, Best of Luck! And congratulations on your results.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I think it is your mind that needs the work rather than your body. You body seems just fine and is responding as normal the leaner you get.

I get it is very frustrating and I can certainly relate. However much of your disappointment is caused because your perception of how things should be has come into direct conflict with the way things actually are in reality.

The lighter you are the less meaningful scale weight is a measure of success. That is for numerous reasons the biggest of which is water balance. Simply because your weight has stopped going down does not mean your fat loss has ceased (true maintenance.)

If you tie your happiness to more suitable and positive goals you will be far happier. How do you look? How do your clothes fit? How are your fitness goals progressing? Can you run further? Can you lift more? Do you feel healthier?

Don't be a slave. As you think so shall you become.