Losing weight after breast cancer

Options
I'm 32 and trying to lose the weight I gained during my fight this past year with breast cancer. I still have the 10 pound leftover from my two kids (6 and 4). So all told I'd love to lose 20 pounds. This will be my first time to really dedicate myself to weight loss. Advice welcome!

Replies

• texaslonghorn42
    texaslonghorn42 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making it through breast cancer! I too am a breast cancer survivor and probably gained 10-15 pounds myself. May I ask what your treatment was? I had a lumpectomy and then 33 sessions of RADS. This Oct will be my 2 years of NED. :) I had MANY issues stemming from radiation and finally found some things that work for me (exercise wise) as I still have limits because my breast STILL hurts from the scar tissue. But will be happy to help if I can!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Congrats! My advice is to remember that your body has been through hell, and don't expect it to react/behave "normally" -- so don't get frustrated if it takes a little longer to catch on to your new lifestyle. Physical and emotional stress just throw it out of whack.
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    4 yr Breast cancer survivor here too. I am too heavy but can't really put all the blame on the cancer. That said, my eating habits were poor due to stress and worry that it seems you can't avoid while in treatment.

I am involved in a study that may be of some use to you. Its called ENERGY (Exercise and Nutrition to Enhance Recovery and Good Health for You.) It's a two year program that works on helping you get back to normal eating and exercise that won't aggravate the indignities done to your body during treatment. I heard about it on the Army of Women website. The program is free to participants and is paid for by the Federal Govt. It is quite good. I've lost about 20 lbs in the past year. I am new to MFP where I've lost another 5.

We survivors have different issues from many that you read about here. I think it important that you improve your health and decrease your chance of recurrance through diet and exercise. Contact me through the messaging service here at MFP if I can help you get involved.