Help with sugars and cholesterol?

Options
maddiey
maddiey Posts: 231 Member
Hello! So here's my deal. Every day I seem to go over in Sugar and Cholesterol. I know why my cholesterol is high--I eat 2 scrambled eggs for breakfast about 4 days of the week. I'm reluctant to give them up...

But i have no idea why my sugar always seems so high! I think lately I eat so many different fruits that contribute along with my other daily foods.

Please look at my diary? How do I stop going over? I feel like the foods I eat really aren't that sugary.... :(

And lately I've been losing about 1-2 pounds a week, so I don't think it's hurting that much. Should I just ignore it or really change it? Thanks for the help. I would really like to learn!

Replies

• maddiey
    Options
    Today for example, consisted of eggs, oatmeal, soy milk, a salad, soup, a few crackers, string cheese, an apple, black cherries, baby carrots, quarter cup of trail mix, a protein bar, and half a scoop of protein powder.

That seems okay to me lol.

Btw, I'm a vegetarian if you can't tell!
  • maddiey
    Options
    Bump
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Egg cholesterol has nothing to do with blood cholesterol...in fact its been proven to reduce your bad blood cholesterol so relax and enjoy all your eggs...and sugar long as your staying out of processed and man made sugars they will be coming from fruit and stuff its nothing to watch or worry about.

Sounds like your losing weight then why change what works, some people seem to think sugar and fats and stuff matter that much but what it really comes down to is eat less calories then you burn in a day you will lose weight
  • maddiey
    Options
    Egg cholesterol has nothing to do with blood cholesterol...in fact its been proven to reduce your bad blood cholesterol so relax and enjoy all your eggs...and sugar long as your staying out of processed and man made sugars they will be coming from fruit and stuff its nothing to watch or worry about.

Sounds like your losing weight then why change what works, some people seem to think sugar and fats and stuff matter that much but what it really comes down to is eat less calories then you burn in a day you will lose weight

Okay I didn't know that! MFP just gives me those big red numbers on my phone.. they look scary lol. If I don't eat my eggs, my cholesterol is normal and I can't seem to get the sugar down.

Thanks! :)
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that about eggs either I always scramble 2 or 3 whites with my one whole egg so I don't go over the goal
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    The sugar goal MFP sets is ridiculously low. Unless you're gorging on the candy and soda, you don't have anything to worry about. Keep eating your fruit, even though it has sugar fruit also has fiber.

http://www.discovergoodnutrition.com/index.php/2011/02/the-truth-about-sugars-in-fruit/
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    The sugar goal MFP sets is ridiculously low. Unless you're gorging on the candy and soda, you don't have anything to worry about. Keep eating your fruit, even though it has sugar fruit also has fiber.

http://www.discovergoodnutrition.com/index.php/2011/02/the-truth-about-sugars-in-fruit/

I agree. And MFP doesn't filter the good sugars, like those that occur naturally in things like fruits and veggies, from processed sugars. It's the total processed/added sugars, like those in cereals, candy, beverages, even protein bars and trail mixes, you want to keep an eye out for. Google it - look online for a good sugar goal for yourself. Then look at MFP's numbers and don't count the sugars you're getting from healthy sources, like fruit and veg.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I agree. And MFP doesn't filter the good sugars, like those that occur naturally in things like fruits and veggies, from processed sugars. It's the total processed/added sugars, like those in cereals, candy, beverages, even protein bars and trail mixes, you want to keep an eye out for. Google it - look online for a good sugar goal for yourself. Then look at MFP's numbers and don't count the sugars you're getting from healthy sources, like fruit and veg.
    The body doesn't care whether the gram of sugar you ate came from a cereal box, or an apple. Both have the same exact impact on your body.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options

The body doesn't care whether the gram of sugar you ate came from a cereal box, or an apple. Both have the same exact impact on your body.

While I do agree with that statement, I do think she should keep eating fruit for it's benefits.

If you are that worried about your sugar, try eating fruits lower in sugar like berries. For instance, make plain oatmeal in the morning and add your own puree of strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, etc.
  • ittybittypixie
    Options
    I go over on my sugars every single day too, it is soooo frustrating! You can change the "settings" (at least from your computer) to show other stuff like fiber and protein if you want to step around it :)
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, whatever the source. Apple juice is the same as pop, as far as your body is concerned. Personally, I rarely have a problem staying under the default grams of sugar set by MFP - and I don't hold back when it comes to fruit (because it has other benefits, like fibre and vitamins, etc).

Looking at your diary I definitely see a LOT of sources of sugar that you could easily cut out.
    -prepackaged oatmeal has insane amounts of sugar
    -flavoured soy milk - same (try getting the Silk unsweetened, and adding your own vanilla!)
    -protein bars - they're basically glorified sugar-bars (check it out, it has more carbs than it does protein, even)
    -trail mix - does it have chocolate or something?? seems super high in sugar to me. Could you make your own?

I don't think it's the fruit putting you over, it's all the other things above. If you cut out those and continue with the fruit (especially berries) you'd be just fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cholesterol; there's really no link between ingested and blood cholesterol.
  • maddiey
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, whatever the source. Apple juice is the same as pop, as far as your body is concerned. Personally, I rarely have a problem staying under the default grams of sugar set by MFP - and I don't hold back when it comes to fruit (because it has other benefits, like fibre and vitamins, etc).

Looking at your diary I definitely see a LOT of sources of sugar that you could easily cut out.
    -flavoured soy milk - same (try getting the Silk unsweetened, and adding your own vanilla!)
    -protein bars - they're basically glorified sugar-bars (check it out, it has more carbs than it does protein, even)
    -trail mix - does it have chocolate or something?? seems super high in sugar to me. Could you make your own?

I don't think it's the fruit putting you over, it's all the other things above. If you cut out those and continue with the fruit (especially berries) you'd be just fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cholesterol; there's really no link between ingested and blood cholesterol.

No that trail mix is only nuts and dried fruits. It probably has some additive on top though. And I can't do plain soy milk, too gross lol. that's the light kind.
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I stay away from all "bars" protein,fiber they mostly have too much sugar.I also don't over do it on fruit, i eat 1 serving a day.I consider all Sugar to be Sugar and just try to eat in moderation:)
    Also things they say Sugar free,usually have sugar alcohol in them which is still just Sugar:(
  • Ilovejacks
    Options
    This is exactly, to the word how i feel!!!Great Advice:)

• Ilovejacks
    Options
    I would NOT step around the Sugar tracking.That is where most people get their weight from.Sugar=Fat.Instead of step around it-learn about it:flowerforyou:
  • Ilovejacks
    Options
    I go over on my sugars every single day too, it is soooo frustrating! You can change the "settings" (at least from your computer) to show other stuff like fiber and protein if you want to step around it :)

I wouldn't Step around the sugar tracking!!!!Sugar= Fat.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I wouldn't Step around the sugar tracking!!!!Sugar= Fat.

Sugar does not equal fat. Sugar equals glycogen. Glycogen is what allows your muscles to function. Sugar is also what your brain uses for fuel. If you're going to tell other people to learn about it, you might want to learn about it, first.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options

No that trail mix is only nuts and dried fruits. It probably has some additive on top though. And I can't do plain soy milk, too gross lol. that's the light kind.

Dried fruit is concentrated sugar.

Light doesn't mean less sugar; it means less fat. And guess how they make low fat things taste better? They add sugar.

If you want to cut out sugar, you'll have to change what you're eating. It's up to you what works for your body.