Down time? Looking for suggestions

Options
Ok, I get the whole "eat your workout calories" thing and I like it! And I do it! So, as I've stated before, I started a running clinic last week and I'm run/walking 4 days a week right now. I am staying pretty much within the caloric allowence. One or two days I went 100+/- of where I should be but for the most part I am right on. My scale isn't budging nor is my measuring tape. Hopefully that will come with time. On days that I am not running my coach wants me to have as recovery days. Should I not hit the gym and do strength training? If I do nothing other than normal activities I am only allowed 1200 calories which sucks. I am terrified about gaining any more weight and I really would like to see and feel my size go down. What do others do about down or recovery days? How many days a week should I be working out?

Replies

• ldbenincasa
    Options
    I am a runner too. I run 3-4 days a week, cross-train 2-3 days a week, and allow 1 day for complete rest/recovery. Cross training ideas: yoga, pilates, strength (weights), swimming, or even walking. It does take some time, but you will see the scales move and the inches melt. Keep it up!!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I also run. When I first got back into it, it took some time for my body to get used to the cardio intensity of running. On the days off I would suggest doing things like strength, yoga ,or walking where it is not as taxing on your system. I would allow 1 or 2 days of full rest. I started with 2 and moved down to 1.

Good Luck on the running. It will come with time. Make sure to drink lots of water. It will help.
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    thanks! that helps. I try to fucus on just being and living healthier over all but i'll be honest, i really want to see the weight go down. But, good advice and i'll stick with it.