uncertain... Rant? Gain muscle?

Options
I'd really appreciate some guidance.. I'm currently stuck with where to go from here..

So I've lost around 10lbs and I still feel like I look the same. I have about 3 more pounds to go but now I'mtri the point where I rather be working on recomp (as ive almost reached my GW but not goal body).I just don't know where to start. I currently workout and lift 3-5x a week.. Net 1350-1550. Do you think I should continue with a deficit, reach my goal and then go up to maintenence and start lifting more or should I try to gain some muscle?

I really want that lean, cut look. Not bulky or body builder look, of course. I'd just prefer my body to be a bit firmer. I also want to be able to eat more..and drop some BF. Really what it comes down to is maintenance. I know that as you lose weight, your intake needs generally drop. Well, Ive always had a ravengous appetite and I'm scared I'll gain the weight back if I keep trying to be at a low weight versus a higher weight but leaner.

Hopefully all this makes sense. Anyway, any thoughts would be much appreciated

Replies

• baabaabetsy
    Options
    If you want to gain muscle, I suggest upping your calories and protein. I don't know what you're doing now, but if you want to gain lean muscle mass and gain the least amount of fat or no fat, then I'd get 40-50% of your calories from protein. And if you can, eat protein with every meal. I know that sounds like a lot, but if gaining lean mass and losing fat is your goal, feed your muscles.

Also, while lifting I recommend going heavy and do fewer reps if you want to really have that lean, muscular look. :)
  • james1299
    james1299 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and lift weights.
    Don't worry about looking like a body builder, you wont.
    You get big by eating big.
    Whether that extra weight comes as lean mass or fat depends on what your are doing with yourself.
    Lifting free weights on a calorie deficit will make you lighter, probably more so than cardio and you will hold onto more of your lean muscle.
    You wont gain a single gram of muscle (or fat) if you are eating under maintenance but you will look a lot more athletic.

Hope that helps.

Here is a beginners program aimed at woman.
    http://www.stumptuous.com/workout-1
  • Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    Options
    FrOm what I no is u need alot of protein. I eat about 80-120 grams a day(low carb helps me out) but u can't actually gain new muscle on a deficit u can only make the muscles u have bigger/fuller and stronger. What I would do is get to ur ugw if it's really important then increase lifting and lowering cardio. Buy I'm really not a pro and kinda don't no what I'm doin half the time lol
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you want to cut fat or gain muscle? Pick one as they are different approach. One requires a calorie surplus and one requires a calorie deficit. Also, what is your height, weight, age, worklife and your exercise routine? With this, we can estimate how many calories you should eat. Also, if you don't want to gain weight, then you can't gain muscle.

Also, when you lift, do you lift heavy enough to fail at 8 ish reps?