Is it really necessary to eat at least 1500 a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    When I cut weight to lower my body fat percentage, I generally calculate my daily calorie intake by multiplying 10 - 12 by my body weight. This has worked for me, and has helped me get really lean when I needed to be. I'd strive to lose no more than a lb a week though. More than a lb can result in losing muscle tissue.
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    I'd also like to mention it's nice to incorporate a cheat meal once a week, for mental reasons and to keep from over starving your body. Eating a bit over your macros can help keep you motivated. Also, as you start losing weight, your daily calorie intake will go down. For example, say you weigh 150 lbs. If you cut down to 140 lbs and wonder why you're not losing anymore weight, it's because you're still eating the same amount of calories you were when you were 150 lbs. So as you lose weight, you'll have to SLOWLY progress to smaller amount of calories.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you but older and the lowest I went was 1420. I couldn't handle that...too low. I lost the majority of my weight eating 1500-1650 per day currently experimenting with 1880 on my first week of maintenance. I'm assuming I will continue to lose thus forcing me to increase my allowance (YUM) based on the last 3 weeks of eating on a 250 Cal planned deficit. I continuedd losing more than 1 lb per week when my intention was 1/2 lb. I am assuming I have good metabolism and kept it or improved it by NOT drastically cutting calories and exercising. I would recommend setting a goal of 1 lb per week loss and eating all the calories. Stop undereating now before you have to eat that way forever. Plus I ate all my exercise calories so many days I ate 1900 or even more.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 and have been trying to keeping it between 800-1250 calories a day. Is it true that once I reach my goal weight, if I return to 2000 calories a day I will gain because my metabolism will have droped? I want to lose weight as soon as possible but also dont want to screw myself later! Help! And thanks for all help in advanced! :)
    If 2000 was your previous maintenance then you'll put on weight because you are at a lower weight and hence lower calorie expenditure than before.

So you'll have to establish what the new maintenance calories is, by increasing a couple of hundred at a time and holding for a couple of weeks at least.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Work you calorie requirements for yourself instead of just pick random numbers.

Where you getting these 2000, 1500., 800-1200 figures from in the first place?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Everyones answers were great! Thank you so much! I guess I do need to make a mental switch and make this about health and not vanity. I want this to be a permanent change. I'm going to research all of the new information and figure out what the proper calorie intake is for me. I love how supportive this community is, hope every one has a great night/morning dependng on local ;)

Well you hurt vaniety by eating too little as you lose muscle and fat. If you do 20% below tdee and do heavy weight training, you will cut fat and maintain muscle. And as i always say, weight loss makes you look good in clothes but fat loss makes you look good naked.

But you will always lose some muscle along with fat when dieting.

This is very situational. Not everyone loses muscle during their weight. For example me. I havent lost any muscle based on my weight and body fat calculations but i only had 20 ish lbs to lose.