Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Supplements Anyone?

So here's a list of the supplements I'm currently taking and I'm just wondering what you all take on a daily basis? Anything that you think is particulary beneficial?

I take:

GNC Ultra Mega Womens Vitamins (Twice Daily)
Omega 3-6-9 (Twice Daily)
Glucosamine & Chondroitin (Twice Daily)
Calcium (Twice Daily)
Vitamin D (Once Daily)
Cramberry Extract (Once Daily)

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    There's no need to take two multivitamins a day. You can overdose on vitamins and minerals just like any other drug. It's also expensive.
  • Um.. the recommended dossage of vitamins on the bottle is twice daily AND based on my research your body flushes out what it doesn't need through urination, so there's no such thing as vitamin overdose... You would have to ingest the whole bottle to get sick.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Multi is good, but I agree with song, 2 a day is a little much. I would check the vitamin B content or take a B-complex.

I take B6
    Stress-complex (which is mostly B-complex, biotin, folic acid and niacinamide)
    Evening Primrose
    melatonin
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    i take centrum multivitamin/mulitmineral supplement balanced & complete from A to zinc .... 1 tablet a day
  • I only take a complex B vitamin supplement in the morning, beyond that I rely on my food for the nutrients.
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    I am just beginning to test a DNA-customized supplement that includes vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and probiotic. Before that I took Costco Multi-vitamin as well as additional vitamin C when I was sick.

I am tracking to see if I notice a change in how I am feeling on this. If you are interested, check out the post a few topics down from yours.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Um.. the recommended dossage of vitamins on the bottle is twice daily AND based on my research your body flushes out what it doesn't need through urination, so there's no such thing as vitamin overdose... You would have to ingest the whole bottle to get sick.

Ah, okay. It actually doesn't 'flush' fat soluble vitamins, just the water soluble. Vitamin C overdose will give you diarrhea. Vitamin K overdose will cause hemorrhaging. So...research the fat soluble vitamins some more.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    These are the supplements I currently take:

Raw, whole food vitamins,
    5 HTTP,
    ALA,
    GLA,
    CLA (stopping soon due to finding natural sources in my grass fed beef),
    Biotin,
    Chromium,
    I take extra Manganese and Magnesium (take these at night before bed),
    CoQ10,
    Inositol,
    L-Carnitine
    L-Taurine.

I also take extra vitamins during the day if I start feeling sluggish or tired or if I am going some where after work. This is on the advice and direction of my naturopath and my natural pharmacist.
  • I take just a regular womens multivitamin
    Vitamin C
    Calcium with vitamin D added
    Super B complex
    Zinc

all just once daily
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    The type of vitamins she buys could be split up into two pills!! If the bottle says twice a day that's what i'm figuring.

I just take a multi-vitamin. I am thinking about trying some other stuff. I need more energy, especially after work. Any ideas for that?
  • July24Lioness
    The type of vitamins she buys could be split up into two pills!! If the bottle says twice a day that's what i'm figuring.

I just take a multi-vitamin. I am thinking about trying some other stuff. I need more energy, especially after work. Any ideas for that?

According to my natural pharmacist, when you start feeling a lull in your energy, he has me take more vitamins. Some days I take upwards of 6 or 8 vitamins a day.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member

According to my natural pharmacist, when you start feeling a lull in your energy, he has me take more vitamins. Some days I take upwards of 6 or 8 vitamins a day.

What kind of vitamins???
  • Um.. the recommended dossage of vitamins on the bottle is twice daily AND based on my research your body flushes out what it doesn't need through urination, so there's no such thing as vitamin overdose... You would have to ingest the whole bottle to get sick.

Actually not entirely true...vitamans that are not water soluble, of which there are several, are not flushed out of your body with urine. They will bio-accumulate--that is, be collected by body tissues, eventually reaching a potentially toxic level. Songbyrd is right, you CAN overdose on vitamins.

Actually not entirely true...vitamans that are not water soluble, of which there are several, are not flushed out of your body with urine. They will bio-accumulate--that is, be collected by body tissues, eventually reaching a potentially toxic level. Songbyrd is right, you CAN overdose on vitamins.

Right, but I CAN'T overdose on the specific types of vitamins in the dosages I'm taking, and that is what I'm referring too. For her too suggest that I'm taking too many vitamins is silly considering I'm taking the recommended daily dosage.
  • July24Lioness

What kind of vitamins???

Kim, I take a RAW, whole foods vitamin. It is called The Vitamin Code.

http://www.thevitamincode.com/Formulas/MultivitaminFormulas/Women/tabid/1312/Default.aspx

VC_Women.jpg
  • I take the occasional iron and b12 (I'm vegan) and sometimes a multi if I feel I've been eating junk too much lately.
  • i take "new chapter organics: every woman's one daily" vitamins once a day (as the title suggests, haha). they're pretty expensive but chockfull of lots of superfoods and cultured herbs in addition to the stuff other multi-vitamins contain.

sometimes, i take a PMS supplement to help with bloating and cramps and all those other fun things.

i also drink TONS of O.N.E. brand coconut water for the potassium. weirdly enough, potassium supplements have almost no potassium in them, so i just drink the coconut water (which has more than bananas).

aaaaand... that's it!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    i used to drink coconut water a lot too - especially before and after bikram yoga. I stopped because it's still 60 calories I don't really need to add to my diet. But oh so healthy for you.
  • i used to drink coconut water a lot too - especially before and after bikram yoga. I stopped because it's still 60 calories I don't really need to add to my diet. But oh so healthy for you.

personally, i feel the health benefits outweigh the calories! especially because coconut water gives me the energy to get in a good work out! :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Centrum Forte multivitamin
    Calcium chews - Calcium, D, K - twice a day
    Probiotics

Plan on getting:
    Omegas
    Magnesium & Malic Acic (supposed to help chronic pain)