Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I have reached my goal but I still have fat in many places

I originally weighed 102kg (224 pounds) and as of today I now weigh 67kg (147 pounds). Before you say I lost my weight too fast when you check my join date here, I started my weight loss journey before I joined MFP. Within a week I'll be stopping my current diet and start eating at maintenance, mainly because I can't really lose much more (under 62kg is considered underweight for my height).

However, I still have fat (or maybe it's loose skin? I can't really tell the difference, but I'd say it's fat) in places like my stomach, legs, thighs, upper chest (manboobs) and a few other areas. I can obviously tell it's shrunk from when I weighed 102kg, but it's still very much noticeable and I'm wondering how I'm supposed to get rid of it now that I have to eat at maintenance?

Replies

• laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Start lifting weights and drink lots of water to start.
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Bump 2 come bac 2 this
  • i agree, with the lifting weights, just because you have lost "Weight" its an arbitrary thing because with weight loss you inevitable will lose fat and muscle, which is why while your doing cardio (to burn fat) its a wise idea to also strength train to build back up the muscle, while sparing the fat, i beleive this is how one accomplishes the "tight" body, so to speak :)
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    You haven’t actually said how much exercise you do, without that it hard to say, but I’d suggest that if you are doing exercise, I’d mix it up, do some/more cardio. Run, swim, cycle, and lift weights.
    Drink water, and eat lean/low fat. Get fit, and the skin will shrink as the muscles underneath swell out.
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member

No-nonsense answer is this ^^^
  • Losingkg
    Losingkg Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for the answers.
  • teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member

To expand on this, start lifting weights correctly. Get on a well known, proven beginner lifting program like Starting Strength or All Pro's Beginner workout, just Google them and you'll be off to the races. Make sure to push yourself with the weights after you get the proper form down. Maybe work with a trainer at the beginning to make sure your doing the lifts properly.

Once you start lifting, you'll see changes start to happen, but don't forget now that you're lifting you'll need to eat a few excess calories (called a bulk cycle) because your body cannot create more muscle without excess calories. We're talking somewhere between a 300 and 500 calorie surplus. Remember you will gain a bit of fat with that, but seeing how you were disciplined enough to drop that much weight, it shouldn't be too difficult for you to cut back again and do a few cycles like that to help get rid of the extra skin or extra fat.

I've read a few places that it could take up to a few years for your skin to fully recover from being bigger, so please be patient with that. Don't get discouraged if you take the above advice and start seeing the scale moving back up, you will be gaining muscle along with the fat as long as you're pushing yourself.