Where to buy home gym equipment (weights etc) in the UK?

Options
Hey guys.

Does anyone know of any good shops that sell a good range of home gym equipment (weights and associated) in the UK?

I'm trying to build up some basic equipment as I have recently cancelled my gym membership and am looking at working out from home (doing Bodyrock, 30 Day Shred and the likes...)

So far I have a fitness mat, dumbells and weighted medicine ball....

Sports Direct have nothing!!

Thanks in advance..

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Amazon.co.uk for weights. They sometimes have decent offers.
  • Sia_33
    Sia_33 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    try argos online they have good stuff.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Have a look on your local freecycle, theres usually sports equipment going for free. Also try ebay. Search for particular items and order the search by items closest to you/for collection.

If you want to buy retail, have a look at JJB Sports. They have more stuff online than they do in the shops.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Online seems best for serious equipment. See Powerhouse.co.uk - tho I havent personally bought anything from them I did browse.
    I recently bought a 50kg set of York weights (barbell, dumbells and plates) through amazon. Cheap and the delivery was fast and trackable. Im pleased with it
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Have you looked in Argos??? Surprisingly have quite a large selection of stuff in there!!

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/

Or ebay :smile:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Online I'm afraid. Argos is dog egg. You might as well go to Tesco and pay less for the exact same shoddy equipment.
  • roodledoodle
    roodledoodle Posts: 183
    Options
    Hi,

I also gave up my membership and now workout at home, which I prefer! I got a pull up bar, a fitness bench and some adjustable dumbells from Ebay, a fitness mat from Argos and I also got some dumbbells from Powerhouse Fitness who I would definitely recommend as both times I have ordered from them have had no problems at all! I also got a treadmill through a catalogue and everything went smoothly with ordering and the delivery of that.

Other avenues to look at would be Gum Tree and Preloved for secondhand stuff.

I have purchased various dvds through Amazon Uk too.

Good luck with the search.
  • kakklespakkle
    kakklespakkle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi - I had the same problem! All I wanted was a basic weights bench with no added bits all over it so that it was easy to store and keep in the house. I ended up finding a lovely fold-flat one on ebay (from www.fitness-superstore.co.uk). Looking forward to that arriving.

I was actually at Powerhouse Fitness yesterday. It would be a bit of a treck for you - it's in Batley, off M62 J28. What I found was that they had a good range of cast iron (and other) weights, an incredible array of protein powders and the like, but all the machinery was a bit massive and hardcore, so if you haven't got a designated gym room at home, it'd be a nightmare to store.

But like I said, the weights selection was pretty good. The best I've found locally. Not cheap though ...