No soreness after lifting, doing it wrong?

Options
This one's for all the lifters out there... I'm just full o' questions this morning. :tongue:

I'm not new to weight loss but I am new to lifting. Did it 20 years ago, but only recently started again.

At the minute I'm lifting heavy enough that 3 sets of 10 reps takes me to failure, but I'm not feeling that next day (or second day) soreness that I remember getting when I used to lift in my youth. I wondered if this was just a symptom of aging - maybe my muscles just don't repair at the rate they used to so that soreness is spread out over weeks rather than days? Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong. What's your thoughts?

:drinker:
Cap'n

Replies

• jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    3 sets of what?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Soreness is not an indicator of anything but how sore you are.
    Just make sure you increase the weight often and don't worry about it.
    Results = the weight on the bar you couldn't push before.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Well I usually get sore when I first start but then it goes away. If you're getting stronger you should be okay, soreness doesn't mean anything.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Well I usually get sore when I first start but then it goes away. If you're getting stronger you should be okay, soreness doesn't mean anything.

I'm not so sure I agree that soreness doesn't mean anything. If he keeps adding weight and keeps pushing himself with new PRs on a regular basis, I'd be surprised if he wasn't sore every once in a while.

My suspicion is that the lifting is only engaging small muscle groups. If he's doing the compound lifts, he should be sore at the outset and sore as he continues to challenge himself with more weight.

But I am open to a civil debate on the topic.
  • jnh17
    Options

I'm not so sure I agree that soreness doesn't mean anything. If he keeps adding weight and keeps pushing himself with new PRs on a regular basis, I'd be surprised if he wasn't sore every once in a while.

My suspicion is that the lifting is only engaging small muscle groups. If he's doing the compound lifts, he should be sore at the outset and sore as he continues to challenge himself with more weight.

But I am open to a civil debate on the topic.
    Again, 3 sets of what?
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I'm rarely sore from weight lifting, wrestling training I'm always sore...for days
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Soreness is not an indicator of anything but how sore you are.
    Just make sure you increase the weight often and don't worry about it.
    Results = the weight on the bar you couldn't push before.

this
    if I stretch properly I'm not sore, if I don't I am.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    When you first start weight training soreness is common due to doing something different; but after a while I've noticed that I'm not that sore if I keep lifting on a regular basis. Now I'm only sore if I try something new, different or an exercise I haven't done in a while. If you are getting stronger and seeing body changes you are doing it right.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and not everyone experiences soreness, this doesn't mean your doing it wrong you might just be one of the lucky ones, just watch your form and if you feel comfortable with it I'm sure your doing it right.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Ah it could well be the fact that I'm still on the 'old folks' machines and haven't yet progressed to compound lifts. Hadn't thought about that, thanks Dave RCF.

I know I know, I gotta man up and get into the free weight room.

@jnh. I typically have been doing 3 sets of 10 with 30-60s rests on each machine.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    if you are working till failure the actual weight is irrelevant, you are doing what you can do.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Ah it could well be the fact that I'm still on the 'old folks' machines and haven't yet progressed to compound lifts. Hadn't thought about that, thanks Dave RCF.

I know I know, I gotta man up and get into the free weight room.

@jnh. I typically have been doing 3 sets of 10 with 30-60s rests on each machine.

I also think we are kidding ourselves if we don't think age has anything to do with the ability to recover from a workout. It is actually surprising that you were sore when you were younger but not now. I think it would be the other way around, at least from my own experience. What are you doing differently today from when you were younger. BTW, 37 is not elderly...but it also isn't 20. The young bucks can recover from workouts more quickly in general and often don't have to deal with the impact of prior injuries and wear and tear. Just my 2 (old folks) cents.

Now get off of my lawn!
  • jnh17
    Options
    Well, I know we're all different so nobody can tell you you're not doing something right by not being sore. However, I'm sore everyday. If I take a week off from the gym, *THEN* I may have a few days in a row where I'm not sore.

I was asking about specific lifts you were doing, I can't fathom anyone doing squats or deadlifts for the first time in 20 years, going to fatigue, and not being sore SOMEWHERE in the body. Sitting and doing machine curls or leg extensions may be a different story though.