Weigh in?

Options
I've been reading a lot here and see that many people weigh themselves every day. I am not sure this is a good plan for me becasue of that pesky +.5 or more that sometimes creeps up, or that beautiful moment of being down 2 pounds only to have it evaporate the next day.

Thoughts? Does this happen to others? It can all be so overwhelming - I really want it to be different this time... I am desperate for it to be different.

Replies

• mpaige1969
    mpaige1969 Posts: 52
    Options
    I only weigh 2x week at the most...usually just once...same day same time same scales
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week. I get in a funk whenever I gain and the weight will definitely fluctuate throughout the day. It really sets the tone for my whole day. I don't even have a scale in my house. I weigh in at the Y.
  • helen0616
    helen0616 Posts: 97
    Options
    No scale at home? Wow, that's liberating! I am actually thinking about just setting an alarm on my phone for a random daya couple of times a month... literally go to one of those random number generators and have it spit out a number...
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If I weighed myself everyday I think I'd go crazy!! I do once a month.
  • ralexander53
    ralexander53 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am going up and down like a yoyo. My weight is not going down at all . Not sure what is causing it ? I do go over my calories sometime but I feel bloated alot. I do not get it ? Help:sad: :sad:
  • Hellaine
    Hellaine Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale and I keep resisting from buying one. Being broke helps haha. I have a Wii game that only lets me weigh in once a week (Mondays) and so I just go by that, do my weekly weigh in, mark that number here. So far so good!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    You've got to do what works best for you.

I weigh daily, but only my Friday weight is official and logged on MFP. I use another app on my iPhone to log my daily weights. I'm a bit of a nerd, so I like seeing trends and looking for the causes of day to day fluctuations. Those fluctuations are expected and don't freak me out as long as my overall graph is trending down.
  • spanglevie
    spanglevie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh in every day and it really was starting to affect my state of mind. I was absolutely OBSESSING with the scales. I'd get on twice a day at one point, morning and evening.

Anyway after doing some reading on here and getting some very good advice I changed how much I was eating, what I was eating and decided that I wasn't going to get on the scales for a month.

I did this and guess what, after that month I had lost the 4lb that no matter how hard I tired I just couldn't shift it.

So now, I just get on once a month.

Also go on your measurements and how your clothes feel, thats a much better indication of if you are actually getting smaller than what your weight is. As someone said to me, there is only you that knows your weight and who cares what that is? It's your size that matters and how you look.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Every day... works for me. May not work for everyone.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    weigh everyday for a week
    add them up
    divide by 7
  • aspires10
    aspires10 Posts: 7
    Options
    Agree w/ doing what works for you, in a healthy way. I weigh in weekly. I find that my weight does fluctuate throughout the day and the week and it's something I don't want to get too focused on (again). Then it's really no fun. Transforming your body and way of life seems to be about sustainable changes that yield long-term results. For me, I don't see how daily weigh ins would help me achive that--I'd just go crazy and start carrying a scale in my purse :)
  • helen0616
    Options
    Agree w/ doing what works for you, in a healthy way. I weigh in weekly. I find that my weight does fluctuate throughout the day and the week and it's something I don't want to get too focused on (again). Then it's really no fun. Transforming your body and way of life seems to be about sustainable changes that yield long-term results. For me, I don't see how daily weigh ins would help me achive that--I'd just go crazy and start carrying a scale in my purse :)

Sounds like something I would do!!
  • helen0616
    Options
    weigh everyday for a week
    add them up
    divide by 7

Hadn't thought of this - good idea!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I really wish I'd kept track of the measurements during my journey, this would have told me much more than some fluctuating weight on a scale.

Ultimately it's not about that number for me, it's body composition and a feeling ...

"I lost weight" ... Yeh, so what? Muscle? Fat? How is your energy? Are you feeling deprived and hungry?
  • chantalM613
    chantalM613 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do weigh in every day... it helps me stay focused and i like knowing where i'm at... I do know that seeing that number fluctuate can mess people up. i.e. "hey! the scale is down, i can afford to eat extra_____" or "What's the use, i'm not losing anyhow, might as well give up!". Bottom line is if daily weighing isn't working - STOP. Stay honest. :)
  • helen0616
    Options
    I do weigh in every day... it helps me stay focused and i like knowing where i'm at... I do know that seeing that number fluctuate can mess people up. i.e. "hey! the scale is down, i can afford to eat extra_____" or "What's the use, i'm not losing anyhow, might as well give up!". Bottom line is if daily weighing isn't working - STOP. Stay honest. :)
    Word!
  • almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the idea of weighing daily due to the fluctuations, try this: write down your values and take the lowest value in the last 4 days. That smooths out fluctuations. I have a more complex system that results in incredible accuracy but it's overkill for most people.
  • helen0616
    Options
    Update:
    I did ultimately go to a random number generating website and get 4 numbers for each month between now and December. (I am trying to be at or close to goal weight before a fabulous trip to Hawaii in December to visit my bestie, who I have not seen in three years).

I put those dates on my Gmail calendar and set text reminders for myself for 6AM. This way, they're waiting for me when I wake up. Thank goodness for smart phones to make us smarter! I feel liberated now and was able to put the scale away. When it's time to check in, I will check in. Some of my weigh ins are just days apart, one is nearly 2 weeks apart.

And the first time I did it, it had been 10 days, and I had lost 4 pounds. It was a hugely motivational, proud moment for me.