muscle cramps (not soreness)...question

Options
2»

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    It is an electrolyte imbalance. Without looking at your diet I couldn't tell you which one and niether could anybody else. All of the electrolytes mentioned above could be the culprit. Getting a CMP lab (blood) test would tell for sure but only on a day you are having them. Hard core sweaters could add a electrolyte powder to their water (gatoraide etc). i wouldn't go on any supplement without a check from your doctor. Many of these electrolytes regulate your heart and other things... :flowerforyou:

Sorry, I thought my diary was open...I just made it public. Like I said, this last week was very atypical, but if you go back a week you will get the gist of how I normally eat. I think I eat a lot of high potassium foods (bananas, sweet potatoes, etc). I know it sounds from my OP like I work out a ton, but really it's just about an hour or less per day besides my walks. I am a big sweater though, so maybe just adding Gatorade could do the trick. I also intend to cut out my alcohol consumption for a while and see if that makes a difference. I usually have a glass of wine most nights.

Thanks for all of your opinions. Like you said, I am not sure about taking a supplement for various reasons. My father has renal failure and has been on dialysis for over two years. My family's medical history is some scary stuff, which is why I try to pay extra attention to my health. Maybe a trip to the doc for a general check up is in order. Never hurts...
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I've had terrible leg cramps for most of my life. I started taking a product called Mag Relax at night before I go to bed. It seems to help.