Paleo Primer?

Options
I know paleo has been beaten to death here, but that also makes it more difficult to find anything of use with the search option. Anyway, I'm contemplating switching to a paleo lifestyle but there are conflicting things out there on the websites - dairy or no dairy, peanuts or no peanuts, canola oil or no canola oil, etc. Is there like an online "bible" of paleo info that you would recommend? I'm going to see if my library has any books as well.

I appreciate any help. :-)

Replies

• Akious
    Akious Posts: 71
    Options
    Easy to remember guidelines.

1. If it tastes good spit it out.

2. If humans made it, don't eat it.

Both of my semi-paleo guidelines have kept me going just fine. You get all the goods with none of the excess crap that our food is pumped with now adays.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    LOL Tip #1 makes it sound so appealing!
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    paleo-flowchart.jpg

Really, though:

http://robbwolf.com/what-is-the-paleo-diet/
    www.marksdailyapple.com

are good places to start.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    Options
    HA, that chart is fantastic. And thank you much for the links.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I love that it starts with "Did it have a face?"

I don't follow the paleo diet any more, but I sort of half-assedly use it as the basis of my diet decision-making.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Marks Daily apple is great :)

Ive been eating pretty-much paleo for around a month now. No dairy, grains, legumes etc. I have had one day a week where I will have some non-paleo food if I want it, otherwise just eating lots of lovely nuts (not peanuts), veg, fruit, sweet potatos, meat, fish, etc. I feel amazing. I felt a little rough and headachey for the first couple of days, but now I feel great, I havent felt this good in a long while, and its really helped my IBS. I still have a drink on a weekend if I want one. Give it a go if you're interested, the worst that could happen is that its not for you and you stop. :)
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, Amy! I'm a bit hesitant as I tried Atkins before and only made it a week before my irritability pushed me back onto carbs, LOL.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Good luck with it! I have a lot of friends trying the paleo thing. One of them has lost 40 pounds. Personally, there is no way that I am eliminating nuts and pizza and especially peanut butter from my diet. I can eat smaller portions and avoid stuffing myself, but I won't do it for the rest of my life. For me, it would be a recipe for a yo-yo!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, Amy! I'm a bit hesitant as I tried Atkins before and only made it a week before my irritability pushed me back onto carbs, LOL.

Lol, I havent gone low carb with paleo,I eat a LOT of fruit and veg, and a lot of sweet potatos. I havent wanted to have bread or pasta or anything (In fact I stood next to a pastry counter and the smell didnt make me want any, it smelled nice, but not appetising, if you get what I mean). I fuel myself for my workouts, so I make sure I have plenty of energy. Some paleo people eat white potatos too, and those who do primal eat brown rice and oats (which you may find easier) :)

Wendy, its not all nuts, just peanuts. I eat a lot of cashews, brazil nuts, etc, and almond butter, which is amaaazing! (as is almond milk). I eat nuts everyday