Can you guys please help ME..

Options
So I decided to change my eating lifestyle as of 5/13/2012 it is 1 day shy of my 2 months..And im only down 11lbs..the scale hasn't budged in weeks. Can you guys please offer any advice on how to increase my sucess. I had a mini goal of 15 lbs by July 4th it was not met. Now I have set another mini goal for September would like to lose 20lbs. Any words of wisdom qould be greatly appreciated..

Replies

• soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    if you open your diary or let us know what kind of working out you do, that would be a help

alot of people find they drop quickly in the beginning and then plateau because a) its not easy and b) there are likely things they are doing wrong. Giving us an idea on what you eat and do on a daily basis will make it much easier to help you
  • Curvy_princess
    Curvy_princess Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Opening it up now..I havent done much excersicing..Light walking is mostly what i do..
  • rhosherratt
    rhosherratt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I started about 8 1/2 weeks ago with the Insanity workouts and after about 4 weeks I hadn't lost any weight and my clothes were still fitting the same. That's how I found my way to this site. I decided I needed to be more accountable for what I was eating. Even after tracking and watching my calories for the last 4 weeks and still working out intensely (well intensely for me anyway, I burn at least 350 calories a day but usually closer to 500-600) I'm still not seeing the scale move or my clothes fitting any differently. I hope you get a great answer because I should would like to know also! Best of luck and don't give up!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    11 lbs in 2 months is pretty good, so I wouldn't stress about it and just keep doing what you are doing.

If I had to guess, I would say you lost some water weight quickly in the beginning when you changed your diet, and the fat has been coming off the whole time, but you are perceiving it as a plateau because your body is adapting and your water weight is stabilizing. The good news is that you are down 11 lbs in two months and I'd say that it is 11 lbs of fat loss. If you keep it up, your losses will keep coming, but since you are past the initial phase, you need to be looking at weight loss on a monthly basis to get a good feel for your actual losses.

If you read this forum enough, you will see posts daily about people doing the right things, but are very upset about not losing weight this week. The truth is, that if you are on a 1 lb/week schedule, that the variables that go into accurately weighing yourself have easily hide a 1 lb change. So, you need to look at a bigger change, which means a longer period of time. People get depressed about this and quit. Don't be one of those people, just be patient and understand that every time you weigh yourself that your "real weight" is within +- 2 lbs of what the scale says.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    What are your MFP goals set at? Did MFP set your program up for losing 1-2 lbs per week?? I am also losing slower than alot of ppl on here, however I noticed others workout alot more than I do. They run, lift, and alot more cardio 5-6 days a week. You may need to up your workouts and the calories you burn if you are eating all the calories MFP has assigned for you. And dont forget to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water. I have noticed that has helped alot with keeping the extra water weight off, oddly enough.
  • Curvy_princess
    Options
    I really hope I see more results. I have really changed my ways. Yes I may not be entirely perfect..But im trying and I believe that counts. Thank you for your words..Im very grateful.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    11 lbs in 2 months is pretty good, so I wouldn't stress about it and just keep doing what you are doing.

If I had to guess, I would say you lost some water weight quickly in the beginning when you changed your diet, and the fat has been coming off the whole time, but you are perceiving it as a plateau because your body is adapting and your water weight is stabilizing. The good news is that you are down 11 lbs in two months and I'd say that it is 11 lbs of fat loss. If you keep it up, your losses will keep coming, but since you are past the initial phase, you need to be looking at weight loss on a monthly basis to get a good feel for your actual losses.

If you read this forum enough, you will see posts daily about people doing the right things, but are very upset about not losing weight this week. The truth is, that if you are on a 1 lb/week schedule, that the variables that go into accurately weighing yourself have easily hide a 1 lb change. So, you need to look at a bigger change, which means a longer period of time. People get depressed about this and quit. Don't be one of those people, just be patient and understand that every time you weigh yourself that your "real weight" is within +- 2 lbs of what the scale says.

^^this

losing 11lbs in 2 moths is awesome! be patient.
  • Curvy_princess
    Options
    MFP assigned me to consume 1200 calories a day.. for a 2lbs lose a week..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Hit the weights or start doing some resistance training. If not then you'll have "soft" flabby body parts. Also this will help to increase you RMR which is when you burn the most fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think you may be setting your goals too high. Anything more than 1/2 pound to 2 pounds per week (depending on how much weight you have to lose) is unreasonable. If I'm figuring this right, you've lost just under a pound per week on average, which is a really good healthy rate of weight loss!! You might be able to lose a little faster by being really strict and depriving yourself but there's also a good chance you'll regain that weight when you go back to eating more normal foods.

If you truly want this to be a lifestyle change and not just a quick fix diet, you need to learn some patience and set more reasonable goals so you're not feeling bad about your progress. Be proud of what you've accomplished so far!!

Have you taken measurements yet? If not, I would start taking them. Sometimes the scale doesn't tell the whole story - you may be losing inches too! I wish I'd started taking measurements in the beginning but even since I started doing them last year, I've lost quite a bit, especially around my waist, eventhough the pounds lost has been slow and steady.
  • marie_cressman
    Options
    I noticed yesterday (i only looked at one day so i'm sorry if this isn't a regular occurrence) you didn't have many veggies. I won't lie, there are days I don't get in my veggies, but I try to get them in normally. And you don't track water. How much water are you drinking in a day? i drink 9-12 glasses of water, but that's because my personal goal is to drink half my water weight in ounces of water and I do intense workouts.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

I know you aren't supposed to ask women this... but how much do you weigh? I'm guessing that since you had a goal of 15 lbs and a 1200 calorie goal, that maybe 2 lb/wk might be too much/unreasonable for your size. Was that MFP's recommended loss rate or did you over-ride it?
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

I am set up to lose 1.5 lbs a week and to eat 1330 cals a day. But if i have a great workout week, (more than the 3 days a week for 30 min MFP suggests) like maybe 5 days 30-60 minute workouts I can lose 2lbs a week and a few inches off my body. Plus I try to make sure I drink 8 glasses of water and lately I try to get in 10 glasses. YOu can do it Curvy!!! :wink:
  • marie_cressman
    Options

i think if you put in you want to lose 2lbs a week it will assign everyone the 1200 calories. you have to find what works for your body. i eat 1750-1800 calories a day and sometimes more, but like i said i do intense workouts. i would say, if you're feeling deprived or still hungry having those 1200 calories up it to 1400 and see what it does for you. change your goals to 1lb a week and it should put you somewhere around 1400-1500 more than likely. i eat multiple times a day to fuel my metabolism. even if it's just a quick spoon of peanut butter, handful of nuts, or some cheese, i get a boost from it. :smile:
  • Curvy_princess
    Options
    What are good beginners weight training that I can do?
  • Curvy_princess
    Options
    Hit the weights or start doing some resistance training. If not then you'll have "soft" flabby body parts. Also this will help to increase you RMR which is when you burn the most fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

What are good beginners weight training that I can do?
  • AShawneeF
    AShawneeF Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    when you start a new diet, doing the same thing every day works for a while, but eventually your body gets used to it and you hit that plateau. try a different workout. walk faster, or carry small weights to make it a little harder and get your body to react.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can look into programs like Strong LIft 5x5 or New Roles of Lifting for Woman. Below is also the acceptable guideline for how much you can lose in order for your body to get into a normal range.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • Curvy_princess
    Options
    I drink water.. just not much :0(.. About 3 glasses a day...
  • Curvy_princess
    Options
    I noticed yesterday (i only looked at one day so i'm sorry if this isn't a regular occurrence) you didn't have many veggies. I won't lie, there are days I don't get in my veggies, but I try to get them in normally. And you don't track water. How much water are you drinking in a day? i drink 9-12 glasses of water, but that's because my personal goal is to drink half my water weight in ounces of water and I do intense workouts.

I drink water.. just not much :0(.. About 3 glasses a day...