Squats question

Options
2»

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    A spotter wouldn't help you with that, unless you're talking about having him lift you up through the whole movement (which is not really "spotting", though you see that kind of crap in gyms all the time). If that's the case, just use less weight.

Edit: Ah, just saw your edit. Not so much as a spotter as a coach, got it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Another trick for keeping proper form and posture - try looking towards the ceiling when you lift.

Uh, no.

I believe you want a "neutral" neck position throughout...but I'll defer to those better educated than I am (and to those who don't absolutely hate squats like I do).
  • christyjoyjr
    Options
    If you're going to start squatting, make sure you get a fair amount of lower back and hamstring work in. This will help balance out how the weight is balanced and make you stronger in the squat.

I suffered a knee injury over a year ago and before I started squatting again I spent a few weeks deadlifting in preparation. So far the knee is doing great.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    look up 'so you think yo ucan squat' on youtube. it's illuminating.

It is......but you have to remember the vast majority off stuff elite fts puts out is geared towards not only those who are going to powerlift, but those who will compete in lifting gear. Not everything will be relevant for your average trainee. It's a good series though.

In that video they take some kid and have him start squatting as if from scratch, no gear, don't even recall him having a belt. Same with the bench press and even a couple DL video of there's I've seen. Their videos are very educational for the inexperienced lifter.
    I believe you want a "neutral" neck position throughout...but I'll defer to those better educated than I am (and to those who don't absolutely hate squats like I do).

I think it's kind of a mixed bag, I've read both recommendations. Some say throw your head back, some say look straight-ahead. The one thing you definitely don't want to do is look down.
    This is EXACTLY the stall I have with squats right now. Legs, no problem. Lower back.... crunch. You can tell these people easy, they do a mini good-morning before coming back up.

Yup. There's a guy at the gym that I almost mistook as doing a squatted good morning but he was actually doing squats and teaching his wife to do them the same way. Then she didn't like that and went to the smith machine /face palm.
  • christyjoyjr
    Options
    Last night at the gym I saw one trainer showing a client how to squat and it looked like a goodmorning/squat combo and at the same time another trainer was teaching a client how to box squat on the smith machine. Yeah...that's why I don't pay for training at my gym.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    In Starting Strength, Rip recommends a pretty neutral neck position, but that means you'll be looking slightly down and away from yourself (since your upper body angles forward in the bottom position).

You can see a picture of that on the front cover of the book, in fact (which can be viewed at startingstrength.com, amazon, etc)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    In Starting Strength, Rip recommends a pretty neutral neck position, but that means you'll be looking slightly down and away from yourself (since your upper body angles forward in the bottom position).

You can see a picture of that on the front cover of the book, in fact (which can be viewed at startingstrength.com, amazon, etc)

Oh that's good to know, I didn't realize that. I kind of look at a downward angle like you that. If I try and look up I lose my balance for some reason.
    Last night at the gym I saw one trainer showing a client how to squat and it looked like a goodmorning/squat combo and at the same time another trainer was teaching a client how to box squat on the smith machine. Yeah...that's why I don't pay for training at my gym.

At my gym even the trainers only do quarter squats. Heck, the Gold's Gym network has a video taught by one of the head trainers for the company and he says the "perfect" squat is a 1/4 squat. WTF!?!?!?!? Seriously? I use to think highly of Gold's, not anymore.