Asthma in healthy lungs?

Options
2»

Replies

• Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    My lungs are healthy as far as I know and I have asthma. Mine's triggered by exercise and cold, and is a hundred times worse if I encounter both at the same time. I have it pretty under control, but I live in place where it gets below zero in the winter. Then I have to make sure I don't rush to get somewhere. Since I have good control over it and I can control what triggers it (for the most part), I don't carry an inhaler or even have one. Mine also isn't so severe that I can't relax myself and talk myself into breathing regularly. I know others who are not so lucky.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and my lungs are healthy. My asthma is triggered by allergies, exercise, humidity, cold air and a whole lot of things. I was diagnosed when I was 8 years old. Asthma has nothing to do with the lungs but the inflammation of the bronchial tubes.

Can it get better? It depends on the person and the severity of their asthma. I am allergic to a lot of stuff and cannot avoid all my allergy triggers, however my asthma is more controlled when I take allergy medicine. It also was doing a lot better when I was taking preventive asthma medicine (however due to side effects, I can no longer take those).

I'll echo a lot of this. Humidity is a MAJOR trigger for me, as are seasonal allergies. I take Zyrtec year-round and that helps, but May is still hell for me (which sucks, as there is a major 25k race next to me that I'd like to run, but after 3 years of running it while sick I won't bother, anymore), as are humid periods. Today was rough, as our humidity was high.

Inhaled steroids are a big help for me. I take Qvar. I'd been on Advair for a while, but I had EVERY damned side-effect, including immune system suppression, which made me hyper-prone to colds, which made me extra asthmatic. I also had thrush constantly. I now use Qvar with a spacer and don't have any side-effects.