How do you steam veggies?

dawnp1833
dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
I've got some fresh, raw broccoli and cauliflower that I want to make, but I don't really know how to cook it. :ohwell:

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I'm really serious. Growing up we often couldn't afford produce and when finances got better we ate a lot of that boil in the bag stuff. (Which is probably why I have a weight issue to begin with).

How do you steam fresh vegetables? Do you add seasoning or anything? Do you just stick it in the microwave or boil it or what?

Replies

• I have a metal steamer that came with a pot and pan set. but you can buy a steamer at walmart I am sure. You can add seasoning like Ms Dash but I like the flavor of pure vegetables. i check for doneness with a fork. Broccolli takes around 10 minutes maybe. if you boil it, you will lose a ton of vitamins
  • Lance_K
    Lance_K Posts: 104 Member
    You can buy ziplock steam bags. You put the veggies in the bag with any seasonings you want and add a little bit of water. put in the microwave and it steams the veggies.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Ditto sistasledge. I've also put them in a glass bowl with a little water, covered it with plastic wrap and steamed them in the microwave. Usually just 5-6 minutes for two serving.

Broccoli and cauliflower is also really, really good roasted. Just toss it with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, spread them out on a baking sheet and put it in a 450 oven until the veggies get a few brown toasty spots.
  • RejoicingL
    RejoicingL Posts: 95 Member
    You can roast it for extra yumminess (drizzle with olive oil, s&p, oven 450)! I love mine with fresh lemon juice(squeezed right from the wedge) and red pepper. There are a ton of "mock potato" cauliflower recipies out there, too!

To steam on a stovetop, bring water to a boil in a large pot (you can add bay leaves and lemon wedges for extra flavor), then put the food into a metal collander or steaming basket, cover and keep letting the water boil until the veggies are fork tender. Just keep an eye on the water level to make sure it doesn't boil off!

to steam in the microwave, rinse the veggies, and place in a bowl. cover with plastic wrap, poke holes to vent, and cook until tender (about 4 min for me, but all microwaves are different)
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Thanks everyone. I made my steamed veggies for dinner tonight and they were delicious! I greatly appreciate the help.
  • RejoicingL is on it! Roasted veggies are the best. I do broccoli, cauliflower, kale, potatoes, carrots, etc etc etc. Mmmmm. :)