Running with respiratory infection???

Options
Any runners out there???

I've been training for a race this Sunday, and now I have a sinus infection and respiratory infection! ARGH! Today my doctor said that there is "No way!" that I should be running on Sunday, as it is very taxing to the heart and lungs, which are already struggling. I thought that by Sunday, I would be good to go.

If I feel better, can't I run?

I think I might get a second opinion, or am I just kidding myself? I don't want to do any damage to myself.

Thanks for any advice!
:flowerforyou:
Betty

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Well I've been told that if you are sick within the chest and nose and stuff but you feel good than its ok to run but your doc said not to so thats a tuff call. If you do run you might have to accept that you'll have a relapse which would be bad... could you sign up for one in a couple weeks? I'm sorry your sick that sucks in the worst way!

~Leash :heart:
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    Well I've been told that if you are sick within the chest and nose and stuff but you feel good than its ok to run but your doc said not to so thats a tuff call. If you do run you might have to accept that you'll have a relapse which would be bad... could you sign up for one in a couple weeks? I'm sorry your sick that sucks in the worst way!

~Leash :heart:

Thanks for the sympathy Leash! It SUCKS though, as I've been training all summer for this!

I always heard that if is it above the neck, then run, but if the illness is below the neck (lungs or intestinal) then don't. I just thought that if I was feeling better by Sunday, I would be in the clear, but the doctor says I could do more damage.
    :cry:
  • christahollis
    Options
    Great rule of thumb...
    Neck up...go ahead and run (or whatever).
    Neck down...absolutely not.

Your doc is "dead" on, if you have any problems with the lungs with your infection...it's a very bad idea to run.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    If your respiratory infection is serious, and you're on antibiotics (?), you should probably take your doctor's advice...then again, Sunday is a long way off.
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    Yep, I'm on antibiotics and two inhalers - Ventolin and Flovent. Who am I kidding - I can barely breathe here. I was hoping to have a great recovery by Sunday.
    :cry: :ohwell: :grumble:

Thanks for the advice ladies.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's a tough call--but none of us know all of your medical details, so it should really be between you and your doc.

Is there another race in the near future that you can use your "conditioning" for?
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    How long is this race? I would think by Sunday you might, and I stress might, be ok for a 5k but more than that - doubtful - its seems that lung stuff sticks with you for a while...good luck and hope you feel better! Listen to your doc and your body--you don't want to make it worse.
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    It's a tough call--but none of us know all of your medical details, so it should really be between you and your doc.

Is there another race in the near future that you can use your "conditioning" for?

I know myself, I should not stress my heart and lungs this Sunday - it is Wednesday and I can barely breathe. I just never get sick - so I am irritated that this had to happen now.

There seems to be a race every month in Toronto, so I will do the next one. Just a hard pill to swallow!

Thanks.
    :smile:
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    How long is this race? I would think by Sunday you might, and I stress might, be ok for a 5k but more than that - doubtful - its seems that lung stuff sticks with you for a while...good luck and hope you feel better! Listen to your doc and your body--you don't want to make it worse.

Thanks, and thanks to everyone for responding.
    :smile:

My friend who is a physician just e-mailed me this morning and said not to do it - she's the third doc to say no. So that is that.
    :cry: